• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Class of '93

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Class of '93

I was lying in the bath the other night and was trying to run down the classic Keegan Newcastle United teamsheet from about 1993 all the way from Pavel Srnicek down to Andy Cole.

I did quite well but couldn't for the life of me remember the name of their burly Belgian centre half. There was also a Frenchman with the surname Robert but I'm not sure he wasn't a bit later.

Spent the rest of the evening wondering what happened to Alex Mathie and Robbie Elliot.
    Last edited by pacharan; 8 June 2011, 14:00.

Originally posted by pacharan View Post
    I was lying in the bath the other night and was trying to run down the classic Keegan Newcastle United teamsheet from about 1993 all the way from Pavel Srnicek down to Andy Cole.

I did quite well but couldn't for the life of me remember the name of their burly Belgian centre half. There was also a Frenchman with the surname Robert but I'm not sure he wasn't a bit later.

Spent the rest of the evening wondering what happened to Alex Mathie and Robbie Elliot.
    Phillipe Albert. Who could forget him lobbing Schmeichel? French guy you are thinking of was Laurent Robert, but he was much later I think.

They were great entertainment and had some real quality players. Tino, Ginola, Peter Beardsley, Keith Gillespie, Andy Cole, Sir Les & Shearer. And of that lot would stand out in today's premier league IMO.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Wasn't Keith Gillespie part of the deal to bring Andy Cole to United? If so those 2 were technically never in the same side together and Shearer was long after 93 wasn't he?
      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Phillipe Albert - who had an uncanny resemblance to Officer Crabtree from 'Allo 'Allo

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
          Phillipe Albert. Who could forget him lobbing Schmeichel? French guy you are thinking of was Laurent Robert, but he was much later I think.

They were great entertainment and had some real quality players. Tino, Ginola, Peter Beardsley, Keith Gillespie, Andy Cole, Sir Les & Shearer. And of that lot would stand out in today's premier league IMO.
          Not to mention Rob Lee....

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
            Wasn't Keith Gillespie part of the deal to bring Andy Cole to United? If so those 2 were technically never in the same side together
            Probably correct.

Shearer was long after 93 wasn't he?
            Well yes but so were Ginola, Ferdinand & Asprilla.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
              Wasn't Keith Gillespie part of the deal to bring Andy Cole to United? If so those 2 were technically never in the same side together and Shearer was long after 93 wasn't he?
              Yes on both counts. Shearer was at Blackburn until at least 1995 when they won the league.

Phillipe Albert reminded me of Bob Carolgees (or however you spell it).

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                Well yes but so were Ginola, Ferdinand & Asprilla.
                In which case they weren't class of '93 either. In fact, weren't Newcastle in the second division in 1993?

Comment

Working...
                X