• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A quick question for all you mechanical engineers out there.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A quick question for all you mechanical engineers out there.

In your Workbooks (I think) you put a note in your designs when something deviates from best practice/standard/whatever. The note states what you changed, why you changed it and the risk assessment.

Is that note called a deviation note or notice?

I have to do something similar for an ITIL process and I'd like to use the correct term.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Bodge?
    Insert Witty Signature Here

Comment

Not being hidebound to books and living in the real world, I do recognise that ITIL is not the be-all and end-all to Service Management.

And Cloud provisioning didn't even exist when V3 was being written...
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."

Comment

Churchill knows the answer ...

Comment

Then I'm sure Spod will be along to tell me in a minute...

Comment

ITIL (snigger)

WZS

Bodge.

(snigger)
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
              In your Workbooks (I think) you put a note in your designs when something deviates from best practice/standard/whatever. The note states what you changed, why you changed it and the risk assessment.

Is that note called a deviation note or notice?

I have to do something similar for an ITIL process and I'd like to use the correct term.
              I invented my own term when I couldn't find one a couple of years ago.

As part of an ITIL implementation each process had a "Process Exception" or "common sense rule" to capture all events not covered (not covered well) which if used can only be signed-off by the Process Owner who first decides if the rule is being used correctly. The Process Owner could then begin process of adding something to the processes permanently whilst making sure all processes functioned together. Hopefully, you run out of process exceptions and everything is covered preventing any deviations.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                Not being hidebound to books and living in the real world, I do recognise that ITIL is not the be-all and end-all to Service Management.

And Cloud provisioning didn't even exist when V3 was being written...
                As ITIL is only a framework rather than hard and fast rules, isn't some deviation expected?
                Insert Witty Signature Here

Comment

Originally posted by zharrt View Post
                  As ITIL is only a framework rather than hard and fast rules, isn't some deviation expected?
                  Yes, but in this case the OP wants to label and document the deviations.
                  You won't be alerting anyone to anything with a mouthful of mixed seeds.

Comment

Originally posted by configman View Post
                    I invented my own term when I couldn't find one a couple of years ago.

As part of an ITIL implementation each process had a "Process Exception" or "common sense rule" to capture all events not covered (not covered well) which if used can only be signed-off by the Process Owner who first decides if the rule is being used correctly. The Process Owner could then begin process of adding something to the processes permanently whilst making sure all processes functioned together. Hopefully, you run out of process exceptions and everything is covered preventing any deviations.
                    Buzz. Repetition of "Process". Is it my turn now?

On a serious note I know what Cojak is after, but don't know the official phrase. The building industry also has a specific phrase here (which is how they bill for changes to the original spec and actually make a profit on a contract won on a cut throat bid).
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                    X