• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

In the long run, could home ownership = renting?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the long run, could home ownership = renting?

Last edited by Jeff Maginty; 11 June 2022, 08:11.

Originally posted by Jeff Maginty View Post
    Does this highlight the folly of "My property is my pension"?
    My home is not my pension. The three buy to let houses however are.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

How realistic is this for a possible future scenario?...

Young person struggles desperately to get on the 'housing ladder', busts a gut to pay the huge mortgage year after year, taking great comfort in the fact that he is now a 'home owner'. 10 years later he moves from the 1 or 2-bed flat or terraced-house to a 3-bed semi, and remortgages to get the extra money (even a 3-bed semi costs the earth nowadays!).

Years later, as young person is now an old person and facing retirement, he realises he has little or no pension. Downsizing isn't really an option because his house is not that big and wouldn't release enough cash after meeting the cost of a smaller property. So he ends up doing one of those dodgy 'equity-release' schemes. So in the end, his home is not really his anymore, because the equity-release firm now owns a large (or even majority) steak in it.

Ergo, home-ownership = renting!

What The Fook Are You Talking About Willis?
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

How realistic is this for a possible future scenario?...

Young person struggles desperately to get on the 'housing ladder', busts a gut to pay the huge mortgage year after year, taking great comfort in the fact that he is now a 'home owner'. 10 years later he moves from the 1 or 2-bed flat or terraced-house to a 3-bed semi, and remortgages to get the extra money (even a 3-bed semi costs the earth nowadays!).

Years later, as young person is now an old person and facing retirement, he realises he has little or no pension. Downsizing isn't really an option because his house is not that big and wouldn't release enough cash after meeting the cost of a smaller property. So he ends up doing one of those dodgy 'equity-release' schemes. So in the end, his home is not really his anymore, because the equity-release firm now owns a large (or even majority) steak in it.

Ergo, home-ownership = renting!

Usually when people use property for a pension they mean 3 or 4 or 100 other properties that are paid off and rented out. This brings in an decent income equivalent to a pension, plus you own the properties which will rise in price, so can sell one for a lump sum if you fancy buying loads of stuff.

The alternative paying into a pension for years, letting some fund manager bet it on black leaving you with little or nothing, meaning you end up in some council home in a bad area with chavs intimidating you every time you leave the house.
        Last edited by russell; 8 June 2011, 15:27.

Comment

Nope not on your nelly.

Generation rent

Massive demand for rentals.

Not in the same league as these guys, but i've got 4 houses (excluding main residence), no mortgages on them, no debt.

If you are contracting, you will surely be able to plough a large percentage of your take home into property and its the only option as far as I can see.

No need for this equity release nonsense.

Comment

a large (or even majority) steak
            Mmmmm, large steak

Comment

Working...
            X