• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Time Management

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time Management

So, all you deeply structured and analytical people, and in particular, the PMs amongst you...

...how do you stay organised most effectively when you're working across multiple projects, from day to day? Is it through judicious use of Outlook? Simple lists? Special time-management apps? Other methods? What do you do to keep on top of things and stay pro-active?

I ask, because one of my greatest strengths (lateral, creative thinking) is also my greatest weakness in respect to being structured and organised. It means I'm fantastic at brainstorming and coming up with new ideas, but I'm utterly crap at structuring my own time and being methodical.

I look forward to the usual flaming and wisdom in equal measure.

Post-It Notes, just a list of all the tasks or notes etc, with the added satisfaction of screwing up the paper and throwing it into the bin when some thing is completed!
    Insert Witty Signature Here

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
      So, all you deeply structured and analytical people, and in particular, the PMs amongst you...

...how do you stay organised most effectively when you're working across multiple projects, from day to day? Is it through judicious use of Outlook? Simple lists? Special time-management apps? Other methods? What do you do to keep on top of things and stay pro-active?

I ask, because one of my greatest strengths (lateral, creative thinking) is also my greatest weakness in respect to being structured and organised. It means I'm fantastic at brainstorming and coming up with new ideas, but I'm utterly crap at structuring my own time and being methodical.

I use a simple word document as a To Do list which I update daily (/ intra daily), split into projects summariaising what needs to be done and when. I don't bother using the Outlook task lists etc as over burdening and cumbersome. Any key reminders I do set up in Outlook.

I also add in 1hr time slots into my calendar so that meetings cannot be booked at those times to enable me to plan and re-plan. May not work for all but works for me fine.

HTH

Comment

It means I'm fantastic at brainstorming and coming up with new ideas, but I'm utterly crap at structuring my own time and being methodical.
        All talk and no trousers syndrome...

Obvious thought would be to quit spending time moderating this board..

HTH
        How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

I used to be pretty diligent in keeping my notebook up to date with hand-written notes.

Red pen - for actions and tasks on myself
          Black - Normal meeting notes
          Blue - Tasks and items needing attention in the coming week

etc.

I started using OneNote at the start of the year and haven't really looked back. I use it for note taking, task tracking, action lists, meeting agenda's etc. It's useful in that it allows me to date track (I create new tabs labelled with a date for each project every day and just cut n paste those tasks and actions I don't complete in a day to the following day. I find it useful in helping me prioritise tasks so you don't end up starting 50 things and completing none.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
            All talk and no trousers syndrome...

Obvious thought would be to quit spending time moderating this board..

HTH
            Thanks for your contribution troll. Living up to your name again are we?

Comment

Depends on which parts. I also prefer the creative, lateral thinking side but due to being easily distracted I have had to add in some strong organization skills.

If I am chairing a meeting then it is immediately followed up with an Action list for myself and others, with associated delivery dates & tasks.

When managing my own time, I use a To Do list in Excel with an associated pivot table. I add in new tasks / actions as they occur(even from my own meetings), with a prioritisation upon them and a delivery date. I then refresh that and work from that. I then close them out and add new ones in exactly the same way I would use a ticketing system. This also allows me to manage upwards when someone attempts to change priorities as I can quickly show what is impacted.

Finally when managing projects, (one or more) I use a Task spreadsheet and a Gantt chart, with level of effort, delivery dates and resource.

I find these work for me.

(If you want examples of the last two PM your email address and I'll send in a couple of copies from the office tomorrow)
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I always have an A4 size notebook for meeting and general notes, I lob impending urgent stuff on PostIt's inside the front cover.

Keeping track of multiple projects and their various schedules (day to day not proper schedules obviously) I tend to do in my head, which I probably shouldn't but it generally works. I do also refer to the MS Project files reasonably often although I'm justifiably criticised for being bloody lazy when it comes to updating the damn things. I don't slavishly PM from schedules.
                A PM I recently handed a project over to for closure admits her memory is utterly pants so she populates the .MSP with every tiny step which would send me completely potty, but it works for her and my method sent her barmy for a week or so.

Oh and as MF just pointed out he does I issue action lists from meetings pretty rapidly after a meeting and refer to those a fair bit.
                Last edited by TykeMerc; 8 June 2011, 15:56.

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
                  OneNote... ...useful in helping me prioritise tasks so you don't end up starting 50 things and completing none.
                  Yep I think I need something that sends me notifications, and have tried to do this with Outlook in the past but it's a PITA sometimes. Have been looking at things like evernote (must be x-platform & mobile) and the like.

Comment

I'd disregard any advice on this matter posted by anybody with more than 100 posts.

HTH

Comment

Working...
                    X