• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Help required

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help required

No doubt someone will accuse me of bedwetting, but this is a serious matter and requires serious treatment.

Ms doodab "has had an idea for an ap (sic)" and asked me do I know anything about "making apps for phones".

What sort of phone?

"the most popular one that takes apps, an iphone or an apple"

Well you need to spend a bit of cash, cos you need a mac. And an iphone.

"I know someone with a mac"

Are they going to give it to you?

"no"

etc.

This went on a bit longer and I can see she isn't going to rest until I have either invested money and time in bringing whatever it is to fruition, or worse, been forced to give her a crash course in C (and with pointers and ms doodab in the same room it will definitely be a crash course), or worse, been accused of pooh poohing her idea.

Advice on how best to nip this in the bud please?
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

What are you moaning about?

I'd dream of a partner who said 'i've had a great idea for a
    business' or even said 'sledges! MF you're a genius'

All I get is 'when can you take a holiday, how much can I spend and when is Eastenders on'
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
      No doubt someone will accuse me of bedwetting, but this is a serious matter and requires serious treatment.

Ms doodab "has had an idea for an ap (sic)" and asked me do I know anything about "making apps for phones".

What sort of phone?

"the most popular one that takes apps, an iphone or an apple"

Well you need to spend a bit of cash, cos you need a mac. And an iphone.

"I know someone with a mac"

Are they going to give it to you?

"no"

etc.

This went on a bit longer and I can see she isn't going to rest until I have either invested money and time in bringing whatever it is to fruition, or worse, been forced to give her a crash course in C (and with pointers and ms doodab in the same room it will definitely be a crash course), or worse, been accused of pooh poohing her idea.

Advice on how best to nip this in the bud please?
      You could try:
      "Yes Dear!.... Oooo look over there! Pretty things. You like pretty things don't you dear?"

Let us know how it goes.
      Jim is a Jedi! - Dara
      Jim is EVIL! - Jenny Eclair

Comment

My brother suggested writing an app along the lines of recognising people, not sure where that idea was heading as I nipped it in the bud by saying that the brain has had billions of years to master pattern recognition and doing so on a computer was surprisingly difficult, even if brains find it really easy.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          I'd dream of a partner who said 'i've had a great idea for a
          business' or even said 'sledges! MF you're a genius'
          Yes, unfortunately I have "what do you mean I'm never going to sell a million copies of 'lunch tracker' for £20 each?"
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
            My brother suggested writing an app along the lines of recognising people, not sure where that idea was heading as I nipped it in the bud by saying that the brain has had billions of years to master pattern recognition and doing so on a computer was surprisingly difficult, even if brains find it really easy.
            Pssst... BBC News - Facebook sorry over face tagging launch

Oh, and my point and click cheapo camera does it. Not very well, but it does have a go.

Comment

Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post

Oh, and my point and click cheapo camera does it. Not very well, but it does have a go.
              I am not a techie - but I am pretty sure "recognising someone" ie identifying who they are is a little bit trickier than "recognising a face as a face".
              Jim is a Jedi! - Dara
              Jim is EVIL! - Jenny Eclair

Comment

Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post

So does mine come to think of it. I guess the presence of a face is easy enough to identify, when it's large and near the centre of a picture.

I wonder how Google maps identify faces in photos (and number plates, etc) so that they can blur them?

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                  I wonder how Google maps identify faces in photos (and number plates, etc) so that they can blur them?
                  Colour distributions...

Comment

Tell her there already is a Kitting & Crocheting app and point her back in the direction of the kitchen

Knitting & Crocheting HD for iPad on the iTunes App Store
                    Insert Witty Signature Here

Comment

Working...
                    X