• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Four days dry

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Four days dry

Usually like a G&T or beer or wine of an evening, but lately the hangovers are worse and worse. Not headaches as such, just fatigue and listlessness. So have knocked it on the head for a bit.

Anyone here teetotal? Anyone teetotal having previously been a drinker? How did you find the transition, and how do you feel now?
    "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
    Usually like a G&T or beer or wine of an evening, but lately the hangovers are worse and worse. Not headaches as such, just fatigue and listlessness. So have knocked it on the head for a bit.

Anyone here teetotal? Anyone teetotal having previously been a drinker? How did you find the transition, and how do you feel now?
    Good luck with that. Hopefully not a real problem just ease off for a bit.

No real experience myself - only ever been social drinker.
    Jim is a Jedi! - Dara
    Jim is EVIL! - Jenny Eclair

Comment

Originally posted by Wodewick View Post
      Good luck with that. Hopefully not a real problem just ease off for a bit.

No real experience myself - only ever been social drinker.
      I think I might have given the wrong impression

Definitely only a social drinker. Probably average 10 - 15 units a week. Have small kids, so alcohol tolerance has nosedived anyway. Just thinking about giving it up completely and am interested to hear from people who might have done.
      "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Definitely only a social drinker. Probably average 10 - 15 units a week. Have small kids, so alcohol tolerance has nosedived anyway. Just thinking about giving it up completely and am interested to hear from people who might have done.
        Fair enough. Not an issue then - ease off for a bit. No need to get obsessed.
        Jim is a Jedi! - Dara
        Jim is EVIL! - Jenny Eclair

Comment

I've just finished a month of total abstinence prior to a blood test (likely to be prescribed a drug known to cause liver issues so they want a baseline).
          I must admit I've thought a lot more about fancying a pint or a glass of wine in the last 30 days than I have in the previous 20 years. Silly really as I've never really been a big or regular drinker, I guess it's the prohibition effect.
          I feel absolutely no difference.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
            I've just finished a month of total abstinence prior to a blood test (likely to be prescribed a drug known to cause liver issues so they want a baseline).
            I must admit I've thought a lot more about fancying a pint or a glass of wine in the last 30 days than I have in the previous 20 years. Silly really as I've never really been a big or regular drinker, I guess it's the prohibition effect.
            I feel absolutely no difference.
            Thanks Tyke. Interesting. Is the drug thing likely to force you teetotal?

Thing I've found is the less you drink the less you can drink (i.e. the quicker you feel the effects) and then consequently the less it takes to give you a hangover.

Just waiting now for the advice to build up my tolerance again by drinking more

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Doesn't sound so bad - MF drinks that in a morning. I also have 2 small kids and I find that I just can't afford to be off my game in the morning. I drink a glass of wine or a beer most nights. I've only gone a while week with no booze once in my adult life and didn't much enjoy it.

Comment

Thanks Tyke. Interesting. Is the drug thing likely to force you teetotal?

Thing I've found is the less you drink the less you can drink (i.e. the quicker you feel the effects) and then consequently the less it takes to give you a hangover.

Just waiting now for the advice to build up my tolerance again by drinking more
                I'm not sure, I'll ask the dermatologist when I go for the test results and find out if she will prescribe the drug.
                I don't know how easy or difficult it would be which is silly as I often go weeks without a drink, but I've been concious for the last month that I shouldn't drink. As an infrequent drinker in the first place it doesn't take a lot (compared to a lot of folk I know) for me to get fairly tipsy, but I rarely suffer any kind of hangover and never have even when I drank a lot more.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                  Doesn't sound so bad - MF drinks that in a morning. I also have 2 small kids and I find that I just can't afford to be off my game in the morning. I drink a glass of wine or a beer most nights. I've only gone a while week with no booze once in my adult life and didn't much enjoy it.
                  I didn't drink at all yesterday but have had a few whiskies and wine tonight.

You
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                    I didn't drink at all yesterday but have had a few whiskies and wine tonight.
                    Were they single malt whiskeys?

Comment

Working...
                    X