• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Camping gear

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camping gear

Aldi has a special buys day tomorrow (Thursday) for camping stuff. Can't say I go to Aldi often, but I gather their stuff is cheap and fairly good quality?

Solar Powered Charger
    £12. 99 each

* Small compact pocket-sized panel charger
    * Stylish aluminium casing
    * High charging current
    * Charge time from USB: 2.5 hours, from daylight: 20 hours
    * Approximate device charging time: 1-2 hours
    * Lithium polymer battery 1200mAh
    * Size: 43 x 94 x 10.5mm
    ALDI - Thursday Special Buys 9th June 2011

I have something similar, and it's not up to much.

The one I have actually takes 2 x AA cells (I have quite a lot of NiMH ones up to about 2.7Ah) so it can either charge those or use them to store energy for later use. If you put fully charged batteries in it works quite well, but a little solar panel that takes 20hrs to charge the batteries just isn't much use, you don't get 20hrs of sun a day and in practice even left in the sun as much as possible you can just about stop your phone from switching itself off.

Bear in mind a standard USB connection provides a maximum 500mA at 5V, I would say you need something more in that league. It's possible to get solar powered things that will give you that, but they cost a bit more. I would guess you need to spend about £30-40 to get something that is actually worth having. Another option is to carry a large, charged, battery that will give you a week or so of charging little ones. Something like

powergorilla153 Free Delivery : Portable Power : Maplin
    Last edited by doodab; 9 June 2011, 06:56.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

If you're going to go camping, get yourself one of these, they're indispensable.

japforum.com • View topic - The Ultimate Mobile Home

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
        If you're going to go camping, get yourself one of these, they're indispensable.

japforum.com • View topic - The Ultimate Mobile Home
        WOW! and with the Merc slung underneath.

Was there a price?
        Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post

Was there a price?
          I think the "price" is something along the lines of "If you have to ask..."

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
            I have something similar, and it's not up to much.

The one I have actually takes 2 x AA cells (I have quite a lot of NiMH ones up to about 2.7Ah) so it can either charge those or use them to store energy for later use. If you put fully charged batteries in it works quite well, but a little solar panel that takes 20hrs to charge the batteries just isn't much use, you don't get 20hrs of sun a day and in practice even left in the sun as much as possible you can just about stop your phone from switching itself off.

Bear in mind a standard USB connection provides a maximum 500mA at 5V, I would say you need something more in that league. It's possible to get solar powered things that will give you that, but they cost a bit more. I would guess you need to spend about £30-40 to get something that is actually worth having. Another option is to carry a large, charged, battery that will give you a week or so of charging little ones. Something like

powergorilla153 Free Delivery : Portable Power : Maplin
            True, its solar panel is too small to realistically offer much juice. The unit might suit my purposes though, for a few days away with iPod Touch without mains charger (i.e. roughing it on holiday). Specifically, having charged the unit from the mains before leaving and treating its solar input as mostly a gimmick. Still, for £13...

The gorilla's 1/10 kWh capacity is mighty impressive, as is the unit, but a bit out of my price range.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
              True, its solar panel is too small to realistically offer much juice. The unit might suit my purposes though, for a few days away with iPod Touch without mains charger (i.e. roughing it on holiday). Specifically, having charged the unit from the mains before leaving and treating its solar input as mostly a gimmick. Still, for £13...

The gorilla's 1/10 kWh capacity is mighty impressive, as is the unit, but a bit out of my price range.
              I think they do smaller ones.

What about something like this? No solar panels but 3x the capacity for less than twice the price.

New Trent Dual-port Pack IMP50D 5000mAh with 1Amp plus: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Or this one is £40 but has 55Wh.

New Trent iCruiser IMP1000 11000mAh External Battery: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

I'm tempted to pick one of those up myself.
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                I think they do smaller ones.

What about something like this? No solar panels but 3x the capacity for less than twice the price.

New Trent Dual-port Pack IMP50D 5000mAh with 1Amp plus: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Or this one is £40 but has 55Wh.

New Trent iCruiser IMP1000 11000mAh External Battery: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

I'm tempted to pick one of those up myself.
                They do look good value.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post

Was there a price?
                  Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                  I think the "price" is something along the lines of "If you have to ask..."
                  I think this was on Topgear a few years back and they said about $750,000!
                  Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                  I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Ultimate camping gear

Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Working...
                    X