• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Useless Council

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Useless Council

Just went up the local tip with a load of old clothes to recycle.

Couldn't believe it, there was a bloke on the gate charging to get in. Two quid, even for dropping off recycling. If you've got a boot full of rubble, it's £14.50.

Didn't have any cash on me so I went home and bunged half of it on the bonfire. Rest will come in handy for dressing the guy later in the year & my scarecrow could do with a fresh set of threads.

And they have the gall to still issue a glossy magazine every 6 months telling us how committed they are to diversity, green issues etc. Pah!

Originally posted by wurzel View Post

Couldn't believe it, there was a bloke on the gate charging to get in. Two quid, even for dropping off recycling. If you've got a boot full of rubble, it's £14.50.

Didn't have any cash on me so I went home and bunged half of it on the bonfire. Rest will come in handy for dressing the guy later in the year & my scarecrow could do with a fresh set of threads.

And they have the gall to still issue a glossy magazine every 6 months telling us how committed they are to diversity, green issues etc. Pah!
    Really. What council & tip? It's paid for by your council tax???? You sure it wasnt a scam (or was it London?)

Let's have a look at their website?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Hmmm, our tip is free, unless you drive a white van of course.

I bet it's a pikey on the make. Did he mention Fight Club or tarmac?
      If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
        Hmmm, our tip is free, unless you drive a white van of course.

I bet it's a pikey on the make. Did he mention Fight Club?
        I was thinking the same. Did he talk like this?

What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          Really. What council & tip? It's paid for by your council tax???? You sure it wasnt a scam (or was it London?)

Let's have a look at their website?
          Coleford. Local authority is Mendip.

Something about it here:

link

Apparently they had to introduce a charge or the site would have closed.

Comment

Every couple of weeks I get a bag dropped on my door. I fill it with clothes and a van comes to collect. Is this service not available in your area. As well....just by luck directly across from my wife's office is a charity that accepts clothing.

Since when has a council been useful? well, unless you are on benefits.
            Last edited by lilelvis2000; 9 June 2011, 21:48.
            McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
            Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

I have it on good authority from one of my lawnmower user groups that this is happening all over the SW.

People are getting charged to dump their clippings. Not a problem if you get a doorstep collection service but that's not the point.

As another poster pointed out, yes you can take your old clothes to a charity shop but will they accept your sacks full of hardcore?

Then if course you have to drive the extra miles if you live in the sticks. Not very green.

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post

Disgraceful! Look forward to a huge increase in fly tipping around the town (which the council will have to clear without charging anyone).

The vegetarian option.

Comment

Comment

There's always public litter bins, just dump a bit at a time.

Comment

Working...
                    X