• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Black Tie Dilemna

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black Tie Dilemna

Slight dilemna - I have been invited to a fund raising do next week which I am happy to go to, although dress code is black tie as 'optional'. I know some people will do the tux but some will be in smart dress only.

Should I go for the black tie given there will be a mix of this and smart dress ? I do think dress codes should either be black tie only or smart dress so everyone knows what to go for.

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
    Slight dilemna - I have been invited to a fund raising do next week which I am happy to go to, although dress code is black tie as 'optional'. I know some people will do the tux but some will be in smart dress only.

Should I go for the black tie given there will be a mix of this and smart dress ? I do think dress codes should either be black tie only or smart dress so everyone knows what to go for.
    Wear a kilt.
    Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
      Wear a kilt.
      Nah.

Mankini tux.

What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

That's the worst spelling of 'dilemma' I've ever read!!!

Comment

What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Always go black tie. Nothing wrong with getting dressed up to the nines once in awhile and the chicks dig the full kit. Take a self tie dickie bow in your pocket and later in the night swap it and just hang it round your neck James Bond style. Drives em nuts.

The few times i went in a suit to these does I felt under dressed and people have commented they wished they went for a tux when they arrived in a suit.

I love black tie balls so any opportunity for me though. I also have my own as well so don't have to bother with rentals.

If you don't fall in to either of those I would toss a coin.

If you do go suit only get a decent one. Nothing worse than seeing people in out dated suits or their work ones. It stands out a mile even they don't think so. Cheapskates.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Always go black tie. Nothing wrong with getting dressed up to the nines once in awhile and the chicks dig the full kilt. Take a self tie dickie bow in your pocket and later in the night swap it and just hang it round your neck James Bond style. Drives em nuts.

The few times i went in a suit to these does I felt under dressed and people have commented they wished they went for a tux when they arrived in a suit.

I love black tie balls so any opportunity for me though. I also have my own as well so don't have to bother with rentals.

If you don't fall in to either of those I would toss a coin.

If you do go suit only get a decent one. Nothing worse than seeing people in out dated suits or their work ones. It stands out a mile even they don't think so. Cheapskates.
              Me, me, me...

Comment

Last time I went to a Black Tie Optional thing, I was the only bloke not in black tie.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  . Take a self tie dickie bow in your pocket and later in the night swap it and just hang it round your neck James Bond style.
                  Charlatan.

If you take it out of your pocket without having tied it, it will look rubbish.

It's actually not that hard to tie your own, and pre-tied ones look utter bobbins.
                  ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                    Charlatan.

If you take it out of your pocket without having tied it, it will look rubbish.

It's actually not that hard to tie your own, and pre-tied ones look utter bobbins.
                    whs

There are plenty of instructional videos on youtube.

cue smut...

Comment

Working...
                    X