• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Curry Night - Recipe required

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Curry Night - Recipe required

Friday night is usually Curry Night at Chef Towers and given that Germany generally has awful curry restaurants/takeaways I like to make my own.

What I'm looking for is some new recipe ideas for a good tasty curry and hoped my esteemed colleagues at CUK might help.
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

I don't have a recipe per se but I can totally recommend the "curry club indian restaurant cookbook" if you can find a copy.

I've been making a lot of Japanese style curries using the sauce blocks you get from the asian supermarkets lately.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

My missus is going round to some Indian woman's house today to learn how to make authentic Indian curry. Can't wait to get home tonight.

I may be able to post up the recipe, depending on how complex it is/ how lazy I am over the weekend. Too late for your curry night but maybe for a future curry night.

If you've baked bread before then naan bread is reasonably easy to do. Even I managed some decent tasting naan last time I tried it. Not authentic in the method I know but really tastes good anyway though baked in the oven.

Have fun anyhow.

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
        Friday night is usually Curry Night at Chef Towers and given that Germany generally has awful curry restaurants/takeaways I like to make my own.
        I've never had a good curry abroad and by that I mean the away from the UK, don't you have bobs on the continent?
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post

What I'm looking for is some new recipe ideas for a good tasty curry and hoped my esteemed colleagues at CUK might help.
          I found an online copy of one of my Indian cookery ebooks here

If you're interested, I also have among others "Cooking The Indian Way" by Vijay Madavan (2002). But that is a 7 Mb PDF file.
          Last edited by OwlHoot; 10 June 2011, 11:33.
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
            I don't have a recipe per se but I can totally recommend the "curry club indian restaurant cookbook" if you can find a copy.
            I still have a very marked copy of that. Absolutely seconded. Not seen one to beat it yet.
            But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post

I've been making a lot of Japanese style curries using the sauce blocks you get from the asian supermarkets lately.
              Some of Pat Chapman's recipes.
              Me, me, me...

Comment

Pondy's Chicken Curry (foolproof)

1 x Tin Tomatoes
                1 x Onion
                3 cm Ginger
                3 x Garlic cloves
                1 x Scotch Bonnet Chilli
                1 tsp Ground Coriander
                1 tsp Ground Cumin
                1/2 tsb Tumeric
                Salt and pepper
                1 cup chicken stock
                2 tbsp natural yoghurt
                1 lime
                2 large chicken breasts
                coriander leaves
                Cooking oil

Finely chop and fry the onions
                Finely chop the chilli, ginger and garlic and add to the onions once softened
                after a few mins add the dry spices and fry for 2 mins keeping an eye to avoid burning
                Pour in the tin of tomatoes and cup of stock.
                Reduce the heat and let it simmer for about 5-10 mins and then blitz with a hand blender
                Add salt and pepper to taste.

Add the chopped chicken, whack a lid on and leave it for 30-40 mins

Once the sauce has nicely thickened, add the yogurt, and the juice of half the lime, stir, taste and add the 2nd half if needed.
                Once happy, chuck in the coriander leaves, stir and serve.

Winner every time.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                  I've never had a good curry abroad and by that I mean the away from the UK, don't you have bobs on the continent?
                  Well then you haven't looked hard enough.

http://durbancurry.com/

Some recipes for you there chef.

Comment

Norrahe's Curry

Ingredients:
                    2 med onions
                    1tsp cumin seed
                    1 tsp black mustard seed
                    1tsp dried chilli flakes or 1 red chilli roughly chopped
                    2tsp garam masala
                    ½ tsp sugar
                    Salt to taste
                    1 tablespoon water
                    1 tin tomatoes
                    150ml greek yoghurt
                    150g chopped coriander to garnish

[Additional ingredients to add to the base courgette - halved and chopped, mushrooms- chopped, chicken thighs - diced, Prawns, lamb chops - diced, mangetout - halved, green beans - halved, etc and anything else you may like to throw in the pot]

Roughly chop the onions and sweat in a small amount of oil on a low heat for until they are soft, add the cumin and mustard seed and fry for a further minute, then add the garam masala and the water, stirring leave to cook for 5 minutes.

While the onions are sweating prep the other ingredients you wish to add

Then add the tinned tomatoes and the chilli flakes/fresh chilli.

This is where the cooking times will vary depending on what you add to the base mixture
                    For chicken, lamb and prawns give it 15 mins on a medium heat.
                    For courgettes, give it 5 mins again on a medium heat
                    Mushrooms or other veg 6- 10 minutes.

To finish add the sugar, and ensuring the curry is on a low heat, add the yoghurt and then season with the salt. For the health conscious amongst you, you can omit the yoghurt and serve on the side or use goats milk yoghurt.
                    Stir through and then garnish with the coriander
                    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Working...
                    X