• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Keeping a car in France

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keeping a car in France

My mother has a flat in France – although renting it out a lot this year, she plans to spend a lot longer in it next year (around 25% of the year or so), and would like to have a car, given that the village is in the sticks, and she wants to drive to the golf course which is a car ride away.

Has anyone here had a UK car and taken it to leave in France long term? If so, how do you go about doing this? She prefers the UK driving position, and has a second car (Ka) that she could take over (or, rather I would drive over for her).

Another option would be to buy a car over there. I am worried about buying a used car in France, so would probably buy a new 1007, Clio or something new and dirt cheap.

Also considering a monthly car lease from a car hire firm. Again, anyone got any experiences of leasing cars in France for a month or two, and, if so, what about insurance etc, or would she ultimately just be better hiring a car for a month 2/3 times a year?

Ideally I would like her to feel comfotable just using taxi's, but her French is about as bad as the English of the region!

Cheers chaps……

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
    My mother has a flat in France – although renting it out a lot this year, she plans to spend a lot longer in it next year (around 25% of the year or so), and would like to have a car, given that the village is in the sticks, and she wants to drive to the golf course which is a car ride away.

Has anyone here had a UK car and taken it to leave in France long term? If so, how do you go about doing this? She prefers the UK driving position, and has a second car (Ka) that she could take over (or, rather I would drive over for her).

Another option would be to buy a car over there. I am worried about buying a used car in France, so would probably buy a new 1007, Clio or something new and dirt cheap.

Also considering a monthly car lease from a car hire firm. Again, anyone got any experiences of leasing cars in France for a month or two, and, if so, what about insurance etc, or would she ultimately just be better hiring a car for a month 2/3 times a year?

Ideally I would like her to feel comfotable just using taxi's, but her French is about as bad as the English of the region!

Cheers chaps……
    When I lived over there Europcar used to do good deals on long-term rent/lease.

Make sure you have the correct kind of car insurance if you do end up taking a UK car over there and also remember that if it's there long term you'll have to have it re-registered.

Comment

I often hire cars abroad for monthly blocks, its not too expensive, the quality is good and its worry free.
      The main problem is that the steering wheel is on the wrong side, which means for the first dew days you drive down the middle of the road, which is not a good place to be

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
        The main problem is that the steering wheel is on the wrong side, which means for the first dew days you drive down the middle of the road, which is not a good place to be.
        An easy solution to this problem is to purchase a Mclaren F1 where the seat and steering wheel are in the centre of the car, meaning no more left hand drive / right hand drive quandries...

Ths only potential spanner in the works, is that they go for a £1 Million +

Hope this helps

Comment

I understood the best ploy is to buy a French registered car and run it in the UK

Cheaper tax, insurance, etc

I don't know if entente cordiale extends to the French equivalent of the DVLA so parking /speeding fines may possibly be dodged also
          How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Can she ride a bicycle?
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
              Can she ride a bicycle?
              While carrying golf clubs?

Can you?

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                While carrying golf clubs?

Can you?
                I suspect even you could manage it with a bit of help from a grown up.

Wiggle | Burley Travoy Urban Trailer System Trailers
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

There is usually a time limit of 1 to 2 years if you take your own car over anywhere.

You need to check up. You can't do it indefinitely.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                    I suspect even you could manage it with a bit of help from a grown up.

Wiggle | Burley Travoy Urban Trailer System Trailers
                    Possibly not ideal for an elderly lady though.
                    Bazza gets caught
                    Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Working...
                    X