• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Childcare vouchers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Childcare vouchers

Has anyone heard of this new childcare voucher scheme? Is it possible to claim this tax free amount through your company (one man Ltd Company?).

Ermmm - you don't actually think You and YourCo are the same thing, do you? I hope not, or you're in a for a nasty surprise one day...
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

but wouldnt it be a case of providing £55 a week (of turnover) to employee for childcare? tax free?

Like a subsistence claim?

Comment

My LTD company provides childcare vouchers of £50 to a company employee.

Comment

looked into it a bit more, and the carer has to be offically registered...not just mum and dad....

damn

Comment

OK, but going back to the original question, if you pay it as an employee benefit you'd have to declare is as a Benefit in Kind, which might be more bother than it's worth if the recipient isn't a taxpayer (or a bog-standard base rate one) 'cos they'd have to start filling inn SA forms. Might be an idea to check with an accountant, just to be sure.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by YNWA
              looked into it a bit more, and the carer has to be offically registered...not just mum and dad....

damn
              You seriously thought you could get 50 quid just for looking after kids - OMG!!

What do you think Child Benefit is for, Tax Credits etc and the choice to have them in the first place!!! (and BTW I do have kids so its not a bitter childless man complaining about having to support people who have kids)

Comment

Interestingly (and conveniently), the childcare voucher scheme rules say the £50 weekly limit is per employee, not per child or per household.

So if both husband and wife work for the same Ltd co. then the company can provide childcare of £50 each per week, even if it is used for the same child.

Comment

I'm sure you could run a scam with your friendly local childminder whereby you give them the voucher, they keep a percentage and then give you back the rest and you palm the kids off with family.

Comment

£50 each parent

I was claiming childcare vouchers through my employer (a county council) for the full amount of nursery fees cost before last April - at that time you just avoided NI and superann on it but it saved over £700 per year that way.

Then in April the law changed and there was a max of £50 a week but each parent could claim £50 and it was tax free. Hubby is the one who's self employed - we have a partnership - and we were told he (self empl people) couldn't get his entitlement. Seemd unfair...

All kids now at school so no need any more but interested to know if anyone knows otherwise - should he have been able to claim his bit? Could we claim retrospectively?

Comment

Working...
                    X