• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Boring post #1

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boring post #1

Went for a bike ride last night with my London to Brighton team member. This was the first time I have taken my new road bike out for a proper spin, so didn't want to stray too far from home in case things didn't go too well.

We discussed the route, and agreed on our usual 10 miler (the short route) and that we would do a biggun on the weekend.

Part way through the route, he kept darting off, randomly taking different turns, with no explanation. I would follow, as a team that starts together stays together. Before I know it, I am lost, at least 10 miles from home and it is raining. He says he knows where we are, and that it is not that much further.

As we plod on, the miles start to creep up. We are now 11 miles into the ride, and now still far from home. What is he up to. I keep following.

Then he gets a puncture. Right outside this random country pub, which is nice.

I befriend the landlord, get my card behind the bar, while matey boy is outside trying to get his wheel off to perform repairs. I pop outside with a pint of real ale in hand for moral support. He is butchering his £130 rim with a multi tool as he forgot his tyre levers. (Note, I knew I had no tools but was not that fussed as we weren't going that far, originally )

He was trying to borrow teaspoons from the pub, use lolly pop sticks, anything to get his tyre off. I chatted with the landlord and he said a lot of cyclists use the route and someone should be coming round soon who should have tools. I thanked him for his advice and ordered another pint.

No sooner as I stepped outside, there was this fairly presentable young lady cyclists with thighs that could crush a canteloupe mourning that fact that she had stopped to help, and that matey had successfully snapped her tyre levers trying to get his tyre off.

I tried in vain to get him to stop, and just come on the pub for a few ales, to plan the next steps. He persisted with his lolly pop sticks. So I rang his wife, and asked her to brink a list of tools to this pub in the middle of nowhere. She agreed, but would be at least 1.5hrs as she had to take the kids places. Now 7pm. We set off at 5pm. 1.5 hrs to wait with nothing but the bar for company.

She arrived at 8:30 with the tools and he fixed his bike quickly. I settled up my tab, filled up my water bottle and we got on our way.

Wifey specifically said that he should take us the shortest route home as it was getting late, he had to go to work. So he took us the long way round. I'm now seeing signs for villages that I really didn't want to.

And it started getting dark. Just as we see a sign for a village that adjoins Luton I start getting my hopes up, but he swerves into a right hand turn, no explanations, to go up a chuffing great hill, heading back to the village we had the puncture in

I lost it. FFS where are you going to now man???? It's like a wild goose chase.

It was a very silent and awkward ride home. He "bonked" around 8 miles from home, me a little while later. The last 6 miles were torture. Dark, raining, no energy.

I prepared for a 10 miler, brought no tools, didn't eat more than a small bowl of pasta before we left. He hadn't eaten anything more than a cheese sandwich at lunchtime.

Next time I shall pick the route, do a gear checklist before we leave, and have designated "refuelling" points.

And the mighty distance covered? 25 miles

Unless the "bonk" was to blame, London to Brighton next week will be an epic fail. Mind you it didn't help getting flu and pneumonia right in the middle of the training schedule.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Went for a bike ride last night with my London to Brighton team member. This was the first time I have taken my new road bike out for a proper spin, so didn't want to stray too far from home in case things didn't go too well.

We discussed the route, and agreed on our usual 10 miler (the short route) and that we would do a biggun on the weekend.

Part way through the route, he kept darting off, randomly taking different turns, with no explanation. I would follow, as a team that starts together stays together. Before I know it, I am lost, at least 10 miles from home and it is raining. He says he knows where we are, and that it is not that much further.

As we plod on, the miles start to creep up. We are now 11 miles into the ride, and now still far from home. What is he up to. I keep following.

Then he gets a puncture. Right outside this random country pub, which is nice.

I befriend the landlord, get my card behind the bar, while matey boy is outside trying to get his wheel off to perform repairs. I pop outside with a pint of real ale in hand for moral support. He is butchering his £130 rim with a multi tool as he forgot his tyre levers. (Note, I knew I had no tools but was not that fussed as we weren't going that far, originally )

He was trying to borrow teaspoons from the pub, use lolly pop sticks, anything to get his tyre off. I chatted with the landlord and he said a lot of cyclists use the route and someone should be coming round soon who should have tools. I thanked him for his advice and ordered another pint.

No sooner as I stepped outside, there was this fairly presentable young lady cyclists with thighs that could crush a canteloupe mourning that fact that she had stopped to help, and that matey had successfully snapped her tyre levers trying to get his tyre off.

I tried in vain to get him to stop, and just come on the pub for a few ales, to plan the next steps. He persisted with his lolly pop sticks. So I rang his wife, and asked her to brink a list of tools to this pub in the middle of nowhere. She agreed, but would be at least 1.5hrs as she had to take the kids places. Now 7pm. We set off at 5pm. 1.5 hrs to wait with nothing but the bar for company.

She arrived at 8:30 with the tools and he fixed his bike quickly. I settled up my tab, filled up my water bottle and we got on our way.

Wifey specifically said that he should take us the shortest route home as it was getting late, he had to go to work. So he took us the long way round. I'm now seeing signs for villages that I really didn't want to.

And it started getting dark. Just as we see a sign for a village that adjoins Luton I start getting my hopes up, but he swerves into a right hand turn, no explanations, to go up a chuffing great hill, heading back to the village we had the puncture in

I lost it. FFS where are you going to now man???? It's like a wild goose chase.

It was a very silent and awkward ride home. He "bonked" around 8 miles from home, me a little while later. The last 6 miles were torture. Dark, raining, no energy.

I prepared for a 10 miler, brought no tools, didn't eat more than a small bowl of pasta before we left. He hadn't eaten anything more than a cheese sandwich at lunchtime.

Next time I shall pick the route, do a gear checklist before we leave, and have designated "refuelling" points.

And the mighty distance covered? 25 miles

Unless the "bonk" was to blame, London to Brighton next week will be an epic fail. Mind you it didn't help getting flu and pneumonia right in the middle of the training schedule.
    So the moral of the story would seem to be..................stop being such a twat!!

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

What is the longest you have spent in the saddle so so far?

L2B is going to kill you.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Really. You're still doing 10 mile jaunts but you have London to Brighton next week.

Forget Ditchling beacon, you're going to be pushing it from the start line.

(If you'd been nice to me earlier in the year when I was trying to accept your Lands End journey I may have done it with you)
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
          What is the longest you have spent in the saddle so so far?

L2B is going to kill you.
          Last night, 4 hrs. Botty is saddle sore.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            Really. You're still doing 10 mile jaunts but you have London to Brighton next week.

Forget Ditchling beacon, you're going to be pushing it from the start line.

(If you'd been nice to me earlier in the year when I was trying to accept your Lands End journey I may have done it with you)
            Yep but this would have meant being nice to you.

Comment

Yep but this would have meant you being nice to me.
              ftfy
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Last night, 4 hrs. Botty is saddle sore.
                No I mean in the saddle, not the boozer.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Why not just get yourself a mobility scooter and have done with it?
                  This whole "physical" thing was never really designed for thin yogurts like you SY. If you really feel you must get yourself involved in any form of muscular exertion, just stick with the potnoodling.

HTH

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                    No I mean in the saddle, not the boozer.
                    Fnar fnar. Yes that's what I meant. Is it so wrong to get a gel saddle that wouldn't look out of place on a Goldwing, and fit that?

Comment

Working...
                    X