• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Getting Old

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting Old

I'm in my late 40's and ever since I hit 44-45, I've found it really hard to maintain the levels of fitness that I used to. I cycle maybe 10 miles or so per day during the week but find that whereas that used to be enough to keep myself trim, I've piled on the pounds. I work long hours, leaving home at 05:30 and not getting back until 19:00 so find it difficult to manage my diet - having to eat quite a lot to keep myself awake etc. Getting down the gym during the day is impossible and I don't have the energy lunchtimes anyway.

I don't smoke, I drink mainly at weekends.

I've just bought a rowing machine to use in the evenings to try and keep my fitness levels up (I perk up a bit in the evenings when I get home) and my waistline down but is this slide into late middle age inevitable?

I don't ever remember my parents being in this situation but I think I act younger at 48 than my parents did at 40.

Anyone in a similar situation?
    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
    I'm in my late 40's and ever since I hit 44-45, I've found it really hard to maintain the levels of fitness that I used to. I cycle maybe 10 miles or so per day during the week but find that whereas that used to be enough to keep myself trim, I've piled on the pounds. I work long hours, leaving home at 05:30 and not getting back until 19:00 so find it difficult to manage my diet - having to eat quite a lot to keep myself awake etc. Getting down the gym during the day is impossible and I don't have the energy lunchtimes anyway.

I don't smoke, I drink mainly at weekends.

I've just bought a rowing machine to use in the evenings to try and keep my fitness levels up (I perk up a bit in the evenings when I get home) and my waistline down but is this slide into late middle age inevitable?

I don't ever remember my parents being in this situation but I think I act younger at 48 than my parents did at 40.

Anyone in a similar situation?
    With you all the way. I bet you're a lot fitter than I am though. I probably cycle about 10 miles a month at the moment! Let's face it, we're doomed!

Comment

feck's sake is this the saga forum or a contractors forum ?

ouch ten year's time I'll be 48

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
        feck's sake is this the saga forum or a contractors forum ?

ouch ten year's time I'll be 48

Milan.
        Err I don't quite know how to say this but...

I borrowed Threaded's time machine last night and... Sorry but you don't make it.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
          Just wait until you're in your 5th millennium, then you'll really feel it.
          Wahey! Something to look forward to!!!
          ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

"When you're younger you can eat what you like, drink what you like, and still climb into your twenty-six-inch-waist trousers and zip them closed."

Then you reach that age twenty-four, twenty-five, your muscles give up, wave a little white flag, and without any warning at all you're suddenly a fat bastard."

"YOU FAT BASTARD!"

"YOU FAT BASTARD!"

"YOU FAT BASTARD!"

"YOU FAT BASTARD!"

"YOU FAT BASTARD!"

"YOU FAT BASTARD!"

"YOU FAT BASTARD!"
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Generally I think you're as a fit as the woman you feel , so generally the younger they are the more incentive you have to stay fit
              Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
                Generally I think you're as a fit as the woman you feel , so generally the younger they are the more incentive you have to stay fit
                Well that's me well and truly stuffed - Mrs L is three years older than me....

Comment

Middle age is when your broad mind swaps place with your narrow waist.

Comment

This is because out parents/grand parents didn’t have so much processed food (well mine didn’t)
                    I am early 40’s and am doing well by avoiding anything that comes in a bag or a packet, I eat a lot of veg/fruit mostly, and that is naturally keeping me trim.
                    Also no diet fizzy drinks, they are bad, even though they are diet, when I have a few I can notice my waist line expanding. I also don’t eat bought cakes/chocolate etc 99% of the time.
                    So my food daily is like:
                    B: home made huge green/fruit smoothie, (e.g. banana, frozen berries and lots of green baby spinach)

Lunch: Lots of Salad, beans or protein, small amount of starch like one potato or a few spoon of starch

Dinner: same as lunch or same as breakfast, depends how hungry I am.

Just keep everything natural, and home cooked 90% of the time and you will be naturally healthy.

Comment

Working...
                    X