• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client refusing to pay because 'budget for project finished in April 2011'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Client refusing to pay because 'budget for project finished in April 2011'

Hello

Looking for a bit of advice

My previous contract was due to run for a year, but finished at the end of March 2011

On my last day there was no-one around to sign off my timesheets and long story short I have only just managed to find someone who can sign them (or I thought I did!), but I have just got a message from the person who was going to sign them saying his line manager has said they won't be signed because the budget which was paying for the project I was on closed at the end of April 2011....

What a crock, this isn't my problem, where do I go next?

The agency I have was working for don't seem to be interested

Thanks in advance

Sorry, but I really, truly, think that is a pretty darn dumb thing to do. I would not have left site on the last day without a signed time sheet.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
      Sorry, but I really, truly, think that is a pretty darn dumb thing to do. I would not have left site on the last day without a signed time sheet.
      Thanks for the advice, very helpful

If the client wants you off site, you're offsite

Comment

Originally posted by MonkeyMagic1908 View Post
        What a crock, this isn't my problem, where do I go next?Thanks in advance
        This is your problem!

Have you invoiced the agency. If not then do so. Were you opted in to the agency regulations for that contract? If you were then they have to pay you even though you have no signed timesheet. If you were not opted in it will be harder. You may need to get lawyers involved. In the end, you turned up and worked and they let you so they should pay. Their budgets are not your problem.

Have a look at the payontime website and get the process going with that. The agency may just pay up. If not, then you may have to contact a lawyer. Roger Sinclair of egos.co.uk seems to get good feedback but he isn't cheap.

Comment

See here and links within also for more info: http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...sing-debt.html

Try searching this site for payontime and reading all the threads.

Comment

The agency I have was working for don't seem to be interested
            Sounds like the agency has been paid, can't imagine them not being bothered.

Find out who the Financial Director or Financial Officer of the client is and get them involved. It could be the PM's not having the common sense to ask for the correct process to follow.

Comment

I can't offer any more advice than you've been given, but good luck with getting your money.
              Hopefully a strongly worded letter to the agent will get things moving.
              +50 Xeno Geek Points
              Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
              As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Thanks for the advice, very helpful

If the client wants you off site, you're offsite
                Interesting reply.

Yes it's dumb to leave a contract without getting your timesheet signed. But as you point out 'the client wanted you offsite'. Which implies that your contract was cut short(as you stated) and it it was quite sudden. So an accusation of dumbness isn't founded.

What is founded is that you have waited 3 additional months before chasing up & the agent doesn't want to know. That isn't just dumb, that's cretinous.

So if we assume that you are a sockie, it's a poor attempt, but if you're a real poster you only have yourself to blame, so write it off, move on and don't ever do anything as stupid again.

Advice you wanted???

hth

MF
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Thanks to most sensible replies on this thread

Just to explain, I didn't leave it three months to chase it up, it's taken this long for me to find someone to actually sign the time sheets

Huh

Comment

Thanks to most sensible replies on this thread

Just to explain, I didn't leave it three months to chase it up, it's taken this long for me to find someone to actually sign the time sheets

Huh
                    Write it all up in bullet point what you have done to resolve the matter and include in letter sent to both Financial Directors of Agency and Client. Say that unless they bring a satisfactory resolution within 7 days to this matter you will take legal action. Take into account that this is blatant refusal to pay, not can't pay and the courts see this in a different light. If they don't pay take it to the County Court. There is also a hint of "Theft" here which is a criminal offence. They have obtained your services by deception if the intent was never to sign your timesheets and never pay you. It will be worth talking to a solicitor.

Comment

Working...
                    X