• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A tale of endurance, grit and pig ignorant motorists

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A tale of endurance, grit and pig ignorant motorists

It is the last Sunday before the L2B and my last opportunity to turn the pedals over anything like a substantial distance. We set out at 3pm in the pissing rain, planning to do 3 sets of 10 miles, stopping for a 10 minute break every 10 miles. The first ten miles came and went with some pain. Strong cold headwind, horizontal rain. It felt more like the outer hebrides than the outskirts of Luton.

We rested, refueled and carried on our way. The next 10 miles were the most eventful. The farthest from our patch and heading out to the farflung corners of the globe to places such as Codicote and Welwyn, grazing past Knebworth and Hatfield.

The rain was proper wet rain by now. Trackies soaked, tracky top soaked, glasses translucent with steam. Legs aching, lungs burning. And then it happened. While pedaling down this quiet country road, this astra estate comes piling round the corner at (I would estimate) was in excess of 70 mph, an oncoming car bars entry to the oncoming lane so the driver piles on the breaks and snakes towards me. I had stopped for a swig so could only watch frozen to the spot. The car pulled up in time, the driver clearly shaken. And did the silly bitch stop to get out and see if I was alright? No. The fetid crack whore just drove on in her rust bucket. May she suffer from anal pimples for the rest of her born days.

Then once more outside of Welwyn, on a climb where we had pulled over to have a drink and walk a bit, this dozy blonde bint comes careering round the corner in some silver piss pot heap of tulip renault, and again has to pile on the brakes, snaking all over the wet road. Closer this time, I dived over my bike into a hedge row to avoid the stupid idiot's car, scraping my knee, and damaging my new road bike into the process.

Then at 20 miles we pulled over for another refuelling. Rain now beating down in monsoon fashion. Cold, wet, hungry, tired. My co cyclists chatter now starting to irk. Please stop banging on. I am cold, wet and tired.

The last 10 miles were unsurprisingly the hardest, but the least eventful thankfully.

I have learned that Doodab aint kidding about chaffing. 30.5 miles covered. Chilled to the marrow, bleeding shins, achy knees. Hips hurt. Feel like crap.

Please remind me again why people cycle?
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    It is the last Sunday before the L2B and my last opportunity to turn the pedals over anything like a substantial distance. We set out at 3pm in the pissing rain, planning to do 3 sets of 10 miles, stopping for a 10 minute break every 10 miles. The first ten miles came and went with some pain. Strong cold headwind, horizontal rain. It felt more like the outer hebrides than the outskirts of Luton.

We rested, refueled and carried on our way. The next 10 miles were the most eventful. The farthest from our patch and heading out to the farflung corners of the globe to places such as Codicote and Welwyn, grazing past Knebworth and Hatfield.

The rain was proper wet rain by now. Trackies soaked, tracky top soaked, glasses translucent with steam. Legs aching, lungs burning. And then it happened. While pedaling down this quiet country road, this astra estate comes piling round the corner at (I would estimate) was in excess of 70 mph, an oncoming car bars entry to the oncoming lane so the driver piles on the breaks and snakes towards me. I had stopped for a swig so could only watch frozen to the spot. The car pulled up in time, the driver clearly shaken. And did the silly bitch stop to get out and see if I was alright? No. The fetid crack whore just drove on in her rust bucket. May she suffer from anal pimples for the rest of her born days.

Then once more outside of Welwyn, on a climb where we had pulled over to have a drink and walk a bit, this dozy blonde bint comes careering round the corner in some silver piss pot heap of tulip renault, and again has to pile on the brakes, snaking all over the wet road. Closer this time, I dived over my bike into a hedge row to avoid the stupid idiot's car, scraping my knee, and damaging my new road bike into the process.

Then at 20 miles we pulled over for another refuelling. Rain now beating down in monsoon fashion. Cold, wet, hungry, tired. My co cyclists chatter now starting to irk. Please stop banging on. I am cold, wet and tired.

The last 10 miles were unsurprisingly the hardest, but the least eventful thankfully.

I have learned that Doodab aint kidding about chaffing. 30.5 miles covered. Chilled to the marrow, bleeding shins, achy knees. Hips hurt. Feel like crap.

Please remind me again why people cycle?
    Women are told not to stop after accidents
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
      Women are told not to stop after accidents
      Probably best, she'd have only got an earful from me anyways.

As a side note, I thought driving away from the scene of an accicdent was a crime possibly punishable with a custodial sentence? Just saying like.

Edit : Looky here

If an accident takes place and either damage or personal injury is caused then the driver of the vehicle at the time is required to stop at the scene of the accident and make him or herself available to anybody else who may need their details and their insurance policy number.
      In the worse case scenario, as outlined above, these offences can be dealt with by way of a prison sentence of up to 6 months. Again that would only be the case if somebody was badly injured and the Defendant drove away after being aware that an accident had taken place.
      Last edited by suityou01; 12 June 2011, 18:54.

Comment

Probably best, she'd have only got an earful from me anyways.

As a side note, I thought driving away from the scene of an accicdent was a crime possibly punishable with a custodial sentence? Just saying like.

Edit : Looky here
        Did you get the reg?
        Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
          Did you get the reg?
          No mate, was picking myself up from a hedge row. Will carry a little notepad and pen in my pocket in future. Good point though.

Comment

No mate, was picking myself up from a hedge row. Will carry a little notepad and pen in my pocket in future. Good point though.
            Get a helmet cam.
            Me, me, me...

Comment

Now that is class mate. Top work.

Getting me one of those babies.

640x480 up to 16Gb, anyone know what running time that would give?

Comment

Driving away from an accident is a crime. Not sure scaring someone to wet themselves is a class of accident that is included.

You are going to struggle with LNB, sounds like you haven't done enough practice.

To be fair, I did 31 miles yesterday. With a few miles
                to go there's a ditchling beacon hill which I have never cycled let alone walked up. I can now admit to walking it because I got about 3 minutes into it, my legs siezed up, I thought my lungs were going to burst and I had to hop off, retch, push it home with a massive stitch.

Almost still got it.
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                  Driving away from an accident is a crime. Not sure scaring someone to wet themselves is a class of accident that is included.

You are going to struggle with LNB, sounds like you haven't done enough practice.

To be fair, I did 31 miles yesterday. With a few miles
                  to go there's a ditchling beacon hill which I have never cycled let alone walked up. I can now admit to walking it because I got about 3 minutes into it, my legs siezed up, I thought my lungs were going to burst and I had to hop off, retch, push it home with a massive stitch.

Almost still got it.
                  Yep, it will be best efforts on the day. I should be 4 weeks further ahead with my training but got sick. That's life. All I can do is give it a bloody good go.

Pissing rain and hurricane winds did not help the average speed or moral so hopefully we will have cold but overcast with the occasional hazy sunshine for the day, opening out into 80 degree basking sunshine when I get to Brighton beach.

Comment

The problem with that is that it would prove that he's talking tulip and sat in the house dealing five knuckle shuffles all day
                    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Working...
                    X