• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

LinkedIn and stuff

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LinkedIn and stuff

I know there've been a few threads about LinkedIn but I can't be arsed trawling through searches and I'm just curious anyway.

I created a profile years ago and forgot about it but more recently I've been getting requests to join someone's network. Cool, except I've only met two people out of the current nineteen I'm connected with, no idea who the others are but accepted anyway. Kinda like Facebook in a way, seems nobody refuses a friend request.

So I'm curious, has anybody had any real benefit from membership / contacts? Is it more like Facebook without the chatter? Do you apply any criteria before accepting a request?

PS No agencies or companies or any other species if spam, seems to be just individuals.
    Me, me, me...

I don't use it heavily, but I do have a full profile.

I do find it useful for keeping a list of places and people I've worked with. I've had a piece of work through someone who tracked me down from their new client site.

In addition I have been contacted directly by agents(had a few calls but nothing from it). It's useful for looking people up though.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
      I know there've been a few threads about LinkedIn but I can't be arsed trawling through searches and I'm just curious anyway.

I created a profile years ago and forgot about it but more recently I've been getting requests to join someone's network. Cool, except I've only met two people out of the current nineteen I'm connected with, no idea who the others are but accepted anyway. Kinda like Facebook in a way, seems nobody refuses a friend request.

So I'm curious, has anybody had any real benefit from membership / contacts? Is it more like Facebook without the chatter? Do you apply any criteria before accepting a request?

PS No agencies or companies or any other species if spam, seems to be just individuals.

I have got my last two contracts through old colleagues so it does seem worthwhile

The agencies have cottoned on to Linkedin, but I block my contact list from being viewed by others and will not accept link ins from agencies
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Yep, I ignore agents and those people I don't know.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Had an offer and a face to face interview through linkedin

I get quite a lot of requests from agents I have never heard of, I just ignore them and for a while I had 'no agent speculative requests' in my summary. It seems to be junior staff working with agents who have no clue how to build up relationships with contractors just panning out network requests all day.

Comment

Found it useful for making contacts in new markets and for them to get in touch with me. Have had a few useless pimps contacting me about things of no interest but few and far between.
            "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

I reckon it's a waste of time. It could have been good but I think it has lost its original purpose, by and large.
              Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
              Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

I don't really use it but its on my 'to do list'.

I need to update my profile but, until then, I have made it non-discoverable (?).

Couple of points though:

1) I have locked down my profile so that my contacts cannot see who I am connected to as one of them sent a connection request to one of my contacts and I then got an embarrassing call asking who the hell this bloke was.

2) Do not treat it like Facebook - only connect with people you know.

Thereafter, you need to decide how you filter any connection requests.
                i.e. will you only accept connection requests from people you have directly worked with or from people you have worked with in-directly - I'd be interested to hear what others do.

3) You need to actively manage your profile and it needs to be a component of your sales strategy so if you blog or tweet about your work speciality, then include that within your LinkedIn/Twitter profile and vice versa.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                  It's useful for looking people up though.
                  Like the people that will be interviewing you...

"I see you collect old mustard tins"

"Me too!"
                  Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

I got my current role and a few interviews and offers through LI, so it seems to be useful.
                    Had a few agents spam me but oddly, more queries directly from the clients than anything else.
                    There is a lot of chatter but you can dial it down - most of the spam is from groups I've joined, and not-got-around-to unticking the 'email me' option.
                    Definitely keep your connections non-viewable in your privacy settings.
                    You need to be a lot more selective in who you connect to - only about 10% of my contacts are people I've not met in person or worked with - the only reason I connect to that 10% is the same reason I follow similar people on twitter - for industry developments/news.
                    It's a good resource IMO.

Comment

Working...
                    X