• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wallpapering - never again!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wallpapering - never again!

I finished decorating the lounge, all except the chimney breast which the missus has bought some snazzy repeating patterned wallpaper for. Been a few years since I've done any papering but I thought (I'm quite handy with a paintbrush), no problem I'll give it a try. So Sunday morning get everything set up, walls sized, ready to go.

First piece goes up like a dream. Second piece takes me over an hour, it goes down the side of the fireplace so is inset and has to follow the ornamental scrollwork on the side of the hearth. A couple of slight tears in the paper but not where you'd notice.

Third piece also takes me an hour, it's a narrow folding piece round the corner of the chimney. The wall is not straight and I can't get the thing to lie flat round the corner. I end up ripping the paper and starting again.

The fourth piece goes in the bin, I thought I'd got the pattern lined up but had cut it short by 1/2 inch. Redo the fourth piece, takes another 45 mins.

It's at this stage, that I notice that a gap has appeared between the first two pieces of paper that I'd put up, and as I watch another gap appears between the second and third pieces. Obviously I'd over-flattened\wettened the paper and it was contracting.

I then rip the whole lot down in a massive tantrum have a mega-flounce and tell the missus to "buy some emulsion" amongst twenty or thirty well chosen Anglo-Saxon expletives.

Not wallpapering again.
    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Wallpapering is a mug's game. Fortunately for me, Mrs SB usually insists upon doing it, so I am happy to let her.
    On the odd occasion that I have made the effort, she goes to great lengths to point out miniscule issues. However, the same miniscule issues do not seem worthy of comment when she does it.

I have yet to convince her that she should try her hand at sandtexing chimney breasts while clinging perilously to the top of a wobbly 30-foot ladder. Then we will see just how good her attention to bleeding detail is!!
    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post

It's at this stage, that I notice that a gap has appeared between the first two pieces of paper that I'd put up, and as I watch another gap appears between the second and third pieces. Obviously I'd over-flattened\wettened the paper and it was contracting.
      Common wallpaper and covering problems

Gaps Between Strips

Cause:

1.If small gaps appear between strips, they are usually caused by improper surface preparation that results in poor adhesion.
      2.Gaps can also be caused by not butting strips tightly
      Solution: Customers should be advised of the importance of following the manufacturer's instructions regarding relaxation time after booking strips. If not enough time is allowed, the wallpaper may continue to expand on the wall causing bubbles or blisters. If too much time is allowed, the edges may dry out and thus not adhere. Improper surface preparation may also cause some wallpapers to contract on the wall resulting in gaps. If wallpaper edges are stretched during hanging, as it dries on the wall, it may return to its original shape causing the gaps. They can sometimes be camouflaged by coloring the wall the same color as the ground with a solvent-based marker. Tinting the primer/sealer approximately the same color as the wallpaper ground is another way of hiding possible gaps.

Read more: Common Wallpaper and Wall Covering Problems | DoItYourself.com
      You said you sized the walls though.

As it was your first and second strips I can't imagine you let then soak for too long. And you would have only brushed them down and rolled the seams so not due to overwork. How did you size the walls? And what is the surface of the wall you are papering onto? Plaster (old or new?) or painted plaster? Or summat else?
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
        Wallpapering is a mug's game. Fortunately for me, Mrs SB usually insists upon doing it, so I am happy to let her.
        I am glad to say that I have never done any wallpapering.

Too much woodchip, anaglypta and sixties / seventies style stuff in my past. I prefer plain white walls.
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
          I am glad to say that I have never done any wallpapering.

Too much woodchip, anaglypta and sixties / seventies style stuff in my past. I prefer plain white walls.
          I have to agree - spent ages fixing blown plaster / imperfections in the walls - now every room is just emulsioned

Easy to spruce up when required
          How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Hire a proper contractor to do the job you peasants!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
              Get your landlord to do the job you peasants!
              FTFY

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                Common wallpaper and covering problems

You said you sized the walls though.

As it was your first and second strips I can't imagine you let then soak for too long. And you would have only brushed them down and rolled the seams so not due to overwork. How did you size the walls? And what is the surface of the wall you are papering onto? Plaster (old or new?) or painted plaster? Or summat else?
                "....wallpaper edges are stretched during hanging, as it dries on the wall, it may return to its original shape causing the gaps...." Over flattened - too rough with the papering brush
                ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
                  "....wallpaper edges are stretched during hanging, as it dries on the wall, it may return to its original shape causing the gaps...." Over flattened - too rough with the papering brush
                  I reckon you are just rusty. If you're anything like me the second something starts going wrong the pot starts to boil and it all goes downhill from there.

You'll be back in the saddle in no time.
                  Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                    Wallpapering is a mug's game
                    WSBS with bells on.

Either hire someone who knows what they're doing or slap some paint on.

You WILL notice the imperfections even if no one else does and they will drive you potty.

Life is waaay to short for wallpapering.

Comment

Working...
                    X