• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Firefox 4

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox 4

Are we all there yet?

Can't say I'm happy I upgraded yet. While no doubt this latest browser version is superior to previous incarnations, I liked the layout and the way things worked in 3.6 and prior. Firefox seems unfamiliar now.

Things like new tabs not opening on a homepage (which was Google for most users I expect, though I gather there is an add-on to do this that has mixed reviews/reception) and the amount of real estate used at the top of the screen, especially if you want bookmarks easily accessible as before, without having to negotiate menus. Wtf I use bookmarks a lot, as with the home page button which is now smaller and secreted to the right of the screen - and which needs to be used more since new tabs don't open on the home page anymore. I trust a lot of this is down to unfamiliarly and that I will grow to like it eventually.

If you don't like it, reinstall an older version.
    The vegetarian option.

Comment

Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
      If you don't like it, reinstall an older version.
      It's better since I customised the menus a bit, such as moving the Home button to the left of the screen and adding bookmarks to the bookmarks bar.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
        It's tulip memory wise, slows down after a day of browsing.
        Same for me with 3.x versions too - terrible memory hog, often see it consuming over 1GB of memory. Hoped they may have fixed it with this version but no luck.

Have some issues with the new version. Open a new window and the address bar stops working and so do the back / forward buttons. Went to leave them feedback and their problem form is limited to 140 characters - how are you supposed to explain a problem properly when limited like that? Not happy with any browser at present and hate to say the IE9 is looking like the best browser for me. Also can't get the webdeveloper toolbar or firebug working with 4 yet but not had time to investigate these problems yet. V tempted to go back to 3.

Comment

Buggy as hell, avoid wait for next release.

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
            Same for me with 3.x versions too - terrible memory hog, often see it consuming over 1GB of memory. Hoped they may have fixed it with this version but no luck.
            That's why I stayed on v2.x for as long as possible...

Comment

Running v3.6.13 without any issues. Checked the mem usage after 45 mins browsing; 81,032K.

I don't see the need to move on (yet).
              The vegetarian option.

Comment

Oh no! Not another new browser!

Only just sorted IE9. Works fine but one thing was really confusing, at top left was a tab marked New tab. I was clicking away wondering why I did not get a new tab before realising it was actually just a page with links to your most used stuff on it. The real new tab control is at the top.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I use it a lot (mainly because it's the only major browser that hasn't taken away the search box). It is buggy though. I've had to kill it several times, and all that stuff about tabs being isolated and plugins running in a different process appears to be BS.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                  X