• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Toast Club

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Toast Club

Hello everyone. It has been a long time. Too long, in fact, since I have shared any of my adventures with my dear friends at CUK.

So without further ado, as I slip into a set of black leathers for this comeback post, allow me to divest myself of my recent activities.

The fact of the matter is that I've been feeling a little depressed of late and have been through a rather introspective period in which I have had to reassess my whole raison d'etre; a bit of soul searching, if you like. I went to a very dark place but, now I'm out the other side I've decided that I'm going to "take my lumps"
    and hold my head high. No longer am I a weedy, bespectacled trainspotter but a modern day Don Quixote astride my trusty recumbent bicycle, Rosinante, coming to the rescue of damsels in distress on the British rail network.

A recent experience highlights this perfectly.

I had popped into Bristol to buy myself a new Morphy Richards toaster in the Argos summer sale. I got there half an hour before opening time so as to be at the front of the queue and in no time was walking up Temple Way with my new purchase feeling rather pleased with myself. So pleased, in fact, that I thought I'd treat myself to a mug of fair trade tea from the Wild Bean Cafe on platform 11.

Much my annoyance, I discovered that the cafe was closed on arriving at the platform. So, with a shrug of the shoulders, I was about to go to the end of the platform to mingle with a gaggle of rail enthusiasts when, prompted by the outraged muttering of my fellow travellers, my inner knight of the woeful figure spoke to me and prompted me to commit a selfless deed of knight errantry.

I jumped up onto a bench and announced to the assembled commuters that for every 10p that came in my direction, a nice piping hot slice of toast would be proffered in the other. A lot of jingling of loose change followed and I hot footed it to the station master's office where I plugged in my toaster and and was very soon on my knees buttering away like billy-oh. We got through 8 loaves of Nimble and the operation was such a success that the station master is going to let the operation become a regular service on the proviso he gets his breakfast special every day.

If you're ever stuck at Bristol TM feeling a little peckish and the Toast Club sign is hanging from the station master's door you know your luck is in!

I got bored reading the opening paragraph, can someone give a summary as I imagine I won't be the first to give up before the end?!
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
      8 loaves of Nimble
      Is Malc on a diet?

Comment

Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
        and and was very soon on my knees buttering away like billy-oh.
        For some reason that left me with an image of you eating your way through Malc's corn cob.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
          I got bored reading the opening paragraph, can someone give a summary as I imagine I won't be the first to give up before the end?!
          Gricerboy was describing a simple Plan B he tried out.

It reminded me of the early paragraphs of Lord Sugar's autobiography, where the Lord described his many quick money-making schemes before his Amstrad days. Schemes, I should add, which resulted in satisfied customers; they were not fly-by-night cons.

I think Gricer's entrepreneurial spirit is to be admired, although at the prices he was charging his turnover would have been too low to be viable - Lord Sugar wouldn't have been pleased with that.

Comment

Gricer is back

I'd offer hot buttered baguettes if I were you, though.
            +50 Xeno Geek Points
            Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
            As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
              Gricer is back
              Oh yes, I clean forgot to say welcome back, Gricer!

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
                Gricer is back
                Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                Oh yes, I clean forgot to say welcome back, Gricer!
                Jim is a Jedi! - Dara
                Jim is EVIL! - Jenny Eclair

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                  I just skimmed the punch line. Apparently gricerboy's luck is in.
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by Wodewick View Post
                    Originally posted by Diptulip Dumb
                    Thread: The Toast Club
                    and you. Gricerboy
                    C'mon pillock Gimpy's -ve rep would be a pale and flacid grey not extreeeeemly negative!
                    Jim is a Jedi! - Dara
                    Jim is EVIL! - Jenny Eclair

Comment

Working...
                    X