• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Prolonged Libya effort unsustainable, warns Navy chief

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prolonged Libya effort unsustainable, warns Navy chief

Damming stuff not to mention embarrassing from first Sea Lord Sir Mark Stanhope:

Prolonged Libya effort unsustainable, warns Navy chief | UK news | guardian.co.uk

At the start of the conflict the navy diverted HMS Cumberland to the Mediterranean as it was returning to the UK to be scrapped.
    Stanhope also admitted that the navy was having to buy more Tomahawk cruise missiles from the US to replace the ones that it had already fired.
    "The pros would have been a much more reactive force. Rather than deploying from Gioia del Colle, we would deploy within 20 minutes as opposed to an hour and a half, so obviously there are some advantages there.
    Honestly Mr Cameron has a lot to answer for. Putting the banks before defence qualifies for high treason IMO.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

We've just spent another £814m on foreign aid today too.

My next vote will be for the UKIP candidate.

Comment

Army cuts are sure treason but it started with Liebor and LibCons continue it - the cost is relatively low and in current environment having strong army is a good idea, certainly better than having army of strong bankers.

HTH

Comment

I want you to make Love
        Not War

I know
        Youve heard it before

Love - is the answer - and you know that
        For Sure

Love is a Flower - you got to
        Let it Grow

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
          I want you to make Love
          Not War

I know
          Youve heard it before

Love - is the answer - and you know that
          For Sure

Love is a Flower - you got to
          Let it Grow
          ******* hippy!

Comment

Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Could we not adopt the Goodies approach to Defence... replace all forces with a large white flag?
              How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                Could we not adopt the Goodies approach to Defence... replace all forces with a large white flag?
                The French hold the rights to that one, it would costs us more in royalties than keeping the armed forces.
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I have to say, I'm not really sure why we're invoved in this Libyan conflict. It started out as the UK pitching in as part of the UN to prevent Ghaddafi attacking 'civilians'. Now we seem to be targetting the man himself. Where are the Arab nations in all of this. Neighbouring Egypt has a respectable sized airforce.
                  The vegetarian option.

Comment

MOD Value for money

Cost "saved" by scrapping Harrier jump jet - £450 million over 4 years, or roughly £112 million per year.
                    Annual cost of sending (mainly officers') children to private school - £170 million per year.

No doubt some would justify this as necessary to keep top people in our bloated, top-heavy military, but it doesn't really enhance national security, does it?

Comment

Working...
                    X