• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dictionary of ancient Assyrian complete after 90 years

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dictionary of ancient Assyrian complete after 90 years

yay

Dictionary of dead language complete after 90 years

A dictionary of the extinct language of ancient Mesopotamia has been completed after 90 years of work.

Assyrian and Babylonian - dialects of the language collectively known as Akkadian - have not been spoken for almost 2,000 years.

"This is a heroic and significant moment in history," beamed Dr Irving Finkel of the British Museum's Middle East department.

As a young man in the 1970s Dr Finkel dedicated three years of his life to The Chicago Assyrian Dictionary Project which is based at the Oriental Institute of the University of Chicago.

That makes him something of a spring chicken in the life story of this project, which began in 1921.
    Hopefully that will encourage the compilers of the Thesaurus Linguae Latinae, who started in 1894 and aren't due to finish until 2050!
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Not a bad gig.

When's Dr. Johnson due to finish?

Comment

The project began in 1894 and it is scheduled to be completed around the year 2050.
      Is this another public sector contract?

Comment

Any idea when they're due to start on Welsh?

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          yay

Dictionary of dead language complete after 90 years

Hopefully that will encourage the compilers of the Thesaurus Linguae Latinae, who started in 1894 and aren't due to finish until 2050!
          Originally posted by Committee for the Publication of the Thesaurus Linguae Latinae
          The task of the institute is to produce the first comprehensive scholarly dictionary of ancient Latin from the earliest times down to AD 600. The work is based on an archive of about 10 million slips which takes account of all surviving texts. In the older texts there is a slip for each occurrence of each word; the later ones are generally covered by a selection of lexicographically relevant examples.
          Working 365 days a year for 156 years they still need to process 175 references a day to get it done.

A box of dictionary slips with excerpts for the word 'non'.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
            Not a bad gig.

When's Dr. Johnson due to finish?
            He's feeling a little discombobulated
            "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
              Non the less, we should offer hm our sincerest contrafibularities.
              Last edited by DaveB; 14 June 2011, 09:55.
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect View Post
                I'm sure he'll feel better once he's had his sausages.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                  Any idea when they're due to start on Welsh?
                  Welsh isn't a language, someone just had a phlegmy cough one day and it just carried on from there.
                  Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                  I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                    Welsh isn't a language, someone just had a phlegmy cough one day and it just carried on from there.
                    True, since the smoking ban you don't hear it spoken quite as much.

Comment

Working...
                    X