• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How much rent should a teenager pay?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much rent should a teenager pay?

My son, who lives with his mum, has just finished college and is looking for a job. In the meantime, he has a bit of part-time work on the go. He earns maybe £80 a week. I don't any longer pay my ex towards his keep since he's now over 18 and not in full time education.

How much rent should he pay his mother?

I heard that 20% is common, but a quick Google reveals some people saying trotting out a rule of thumb that teenagers should "pay board 1/3, save 1/3, spend 1/3".

What do you do?

My ex is an unreasonable bitch, so for anyone thinks "be nice, don't charge him anything", don't bother replying !

Until he's working proper I wouldn't take anything if he's only getting £80 a week, but if your ex is saying she wants a token £20 seems fair
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I find this whole practice of parents taking rent money from their kids abhorrent.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        I find this whole practice of parents taking rent money from their kids abhorrent.
        I would say a token £20/£25 would suffice.

My 5 year old daughter pays £5 per week from her savings and my 2 year old son a nominal 50p or some Haribo depending on what's available.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          My 5 year old daughter pays £5 per week from her savings and my 2 year old son a nominal 50p or some Haribo depending on what's available.

Comment

It's not about money. It's about teaching the kids financial responsibility. Is this not the whole idea?

Comment

Yet another subject you have no experience of but nevertheless have a strong opinion.

You need to learn to let some things go, life flows better that way.
              Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by rd409 View Post
                It's about teaching the kids financial responsibility.
                How is that grabbing a sizeable chunk of their hard earnings already heavily taxed helps?

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                  How much rent should he pay his mother?

I heard that 20% is common, but a quick Google reveals some people saying trotting out a rule of thumb that teenagers should "pay board 1/3, save 1/3, spend 1/3".What do you do?
                  We have always followed the rule of thumb stated. It has always seemed eminently fair to all of our kids to follow that rule too. Part of the job of parenting is to prepare them to stand on their own feet. If you mollycoddle and pamper them too much then all you are likely to end up with is maladjusted cuckoos like AtW and sasguru that will be an eternal burden upon you with their complete inability to do anything for themselves without laborious reassurance and coaxing.

HTH

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                    If you mollycoddle and pamper them too much then all you are likely to end up with is maladjusted cuckoos like AtW and sasguru that will be an eternal burden upon you with their complete inability to do anything for themselves without laborious reassurance and coaxing.
                    In my defense I lived in USSR and in was in the first phase of communism when money are no longer necessary to obtains good. The problem was lack of products...

Comment

Working...
                    X