• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Microsoft Dynamics/GP 10

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Microsoft Dynamics/GP 10

Has anyone any experience of MS Dynamics/GP - I have just been landed in the middle of what seems to be the worst implementation ever but the system itself seems very flexible if you know how to configure it.

Is it worth using or are there better system for manufacturing out there?

I would have posted this in techncial but at present I have no techncial knowledge.

Just really looking for people's views/experiences of it.

Thanks!

Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Is it worth using or are there better system for manufacturing out there?
    I think the problem is very few people have implemented it so you need people you can trust to learn on the job.

As for other systems the place I'm at has spent 6 months finding a reference site for oracle and none of their customers seem willing to talk about it so I imagine all the systems are much of a muchness.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

mmm that's my impression of erp's in general they 'can' do everything but it seems you need to continually tinker with them.

Has anyone any experience at all of working on this application?

(see's a bit of a niche opening up... )

Comment

mmm that's my impression of erp's in general they 'can' do everything but it seems you need to continually tinker with them.

Has anyone any experience at all of working on this application?

(see's a bit of a niche opening up... )
        There's a niche just not sure how to get into it (mind you, you seem 1 slight step ahead of me).

Are you working here by any chance http://www.jobserve.com/Dynamics-AX-...C386D821.jsjob

Comment

I haven't used it myself but I suppose the question is; how deep into manufacturing you want to take the system or conversly how far up the supply chain you want to go.

i.e. Does it need to act as, or integrate with, a production automation/control system?
          or at the other end. Do you have to do complicated seasonal model driven forecasting and planning over multiple sites?

How complex is the supply chain process you are trying to support?

Comment

@ eek - no nothing as glamourous as that!

@pondlife - good question it will be linking into other systems over time but initially we are just trying to get it to work for basic stock control (nealry there!) but then we need to bring online the manufacturing piece - it is not seasonal at all normally sell about 2000 units per week - maybe peaking at 2700 for 2-3 weeks of the year.

The company who initially installed it did not configure it properly - problem is when I try to get any sor of documentation I get blank looks so I assume the original installers were on a hiding to nothing anyway.

oh well I guess I need one of these

The Answers Hopefully

Comment

@ eek - no nothing as glamourous as that!

@pondlife - good question it will be linking into other systems over time but initially we are just trying to get it to work for basic stock control (nealry there!) but then we need to bring online the manufacturing piece - it is not seasonal at all normally sell about 2000 units per week - maybe peaking at 2700 for 2-3 weeks of the year.

The company who initially installed it did not configure it properly - problem is when I try to get any sor of documentation I get blank looks so I assume the original installers were on a hiding to nothing anyway.

oh well I guess I need one of these

The Answers Hopefully
              looks like the starting point.

Comment

Working...
              X