• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Recommended agencies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommended agencies

Anyone recommend any decent agencies that aren't cowboys. Particularly ones that deal with high end C# roles?

Decent? Agencies?

Originally posted by cswd
    Anyone recommend any decent agencies that aren't cowboys.
    Come on guys! Don't all answer at once.

Comment

My general rule is the smaller the better. If they've grown big enough for you to have heard of it before it rings you up, it's probably too late.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard
        My general rule is the smaller the better. If they've grown big enough for you to have heard of it before it rings you up, it's probably too late.
        I hadn't noticed before, but I believe you're right.

Comment

I noticed. I've had a web site up for about a week and I'm getting agency spam already.
          welcome to the wonderful world of "I saw your CV on the internet" followed by something that's hell and gone from what it says on your CV!

Or, "I saw your CV on the internet, can you send me a copy in Word format please?". Hmmm, when you "saw my CV" did you see the links top and bottom to a download in Word format?

It seems to introduce yet another layer: not only do clients not look for contractors directly on the web, the agencies don't seem to either, but rather buy contact details from someone else, possibly with an out-of-date copy of the CV attached.
          Last edited by expat; 29 March 2006, 08:55.

Comment

This is one of those impossible questions to answer simply because what is a good agency to one person can be the dogs bollocks to the next.

FWIW, I never had any problems with MSB. Same cant be said for everyone that has dealt with them though.

Mailman

Comment

Also, good for getting you roles might not mean good for paying on time. The last agent I worked for were pretty good on the whole, but they did "not receive" my first 2 week's invoices and timesheets.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

They WILL recieve mine - I will email and send them recorded delivery!

I assume it's usual to invoice them weekly or bi-weekly?
                Invoices were emailed and faxed, and they still "lost" them. I'm inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt and say it was more disorganisation rather than malice because they paid on the dot after that.

Depends on the contract as to how often you invoice. I assume most people work monthly.

Comment

Anyone recommend any decent agencies that aren't cowboys. Particularly ones that deal with high end C# roles?
                  The PCG runs an approved contracts scheme. The aim for this is....

to facilitate the availability of standard, commercially sound, business-to-business contracts suitable for freelance businesses operating outside IR35.
                  The list currently stands as
                  • Pendragon Information Systems Limited
                  • Practicus Ltd
                  • SQ Computer Personnel Ltd
                  • The Wreay Group

further details can be found here

Experiences with individual agencies can be personal and mixed. I've had helpful people from some of the big agencies and then with the same agency had someone who should never be let near a telephone, let alone be an agent.

Comment

Will try for monthly or bi-weekly. Bi-weekly would be good as my bank balance is £0.00 at the moment.
                    I was completely broke when I started my first contract, so was pretty glad it turned out to be weekly otherwise I think I would have run out of overdraft facility and credit card limit before getting paid.

Comment

Working...
                    X