• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interviewers that don't understand contractors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interviewers that don't understand contractors

Every had one of those interviews where the interviewer was carrying on like you're being hired for a permy gig?

I had a second interview yesterday with NumptyCo. Little tinpot outfit, with two Essex boys sat across the desk loving the power of doing an interview. The look of incredulity at some of the questions they were asking me probably did me no favours at all. If I had a pound for every time they kept telling me they were a "Global company" I would have had enough to get a round in at the CUK summer bash.

The best technical question was "What is the name of the method that fires on a timer control in VB6?"

My response of "would knowing the answer to that make me a better programmer?" didn't go down well

I refused to sign the form titled "Job application", with a very IR35 unfriendly "Applicants signature" section at the bottom. IR35 was of little interest to them, obviously.

When I'm interviewing I take the time to make sure that the role description matches the questions I will ask. Bunch of uptight power hungry losers. Dodged a bullet I think. The agency got my "feedback" this morning.

So anyone else found out in the interview that the company has no clue how to "use" a contractor?
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Just seen the tags.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
      Every had one of those interviews where the interviewer was carrying on like you're being hired for a permy gig?

I had a second interview yesterday with NumptyCo. Little tinpot outfit, with two Essex boys sat across the desk loving the power of doing an interview. The look of incredulity at some of the questions they were asking me probably did me no favours at all. If I had a pound for every time they kept telling me they were a "Global company" I would have had enough to get a round in at the CUK summer bash.

The best technical question was "What is the name of the method that fires on a timer control in VB6?"

My response of "would knowing the answer to that make me a better programmer?" didn't go down well

I refused to sign the form titled "Job application", with a very IR35 unfriendly "Applicants signature" section at the bottom. IR35 was of little interest to them, obviously.

When I'm interviewing I take the time to make sure that the role description matches the questions I will ask. Bunch of uptight power hungry losers. Dodged a bullet I think. The agency got my "feedback" this morning.

So anyone else found out in the interview that the company has no clue how to "use" a contractor?
      So did you get the gig?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
        So did you get the gig?
        You should have gone to specsavers.

HTH

Comment

You should have gone to specsavers.

HTH
          But did you get the gig?

Comment

They weren't looking for a supplier, they were looking for a temp.

It's their tuppence and how they spend it is their choice I suppose.

Time to move on matey.

Comment

It's usually why do want to work for us

When you know they don't want you to be honest and say I'm not a permie I don't want a career with you I just want your money
              Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
                It's usually why do want to work for us

When you know they don't want you to be honest and say I'm not a permie I don't want a career with you I just want your money
                They said "You hopefully have learnt a lot about us from our web site and done a bit of research"

Comment

This kind of interview would make me run a mile. Questions like "Where do you see yourself in n years." are red flags.

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
                    This kind of interview would make me run a mile. Questions like "Where do you see yourself in n years." are red flags.
                    A non trolling post <rubs-eyes>

I may have got you all wrong sir.

Comment

Working...
                    X