• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Issues with a Lava Lamp

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Issues with a Lava Lamp

I was once quite satisfied with the performance of my 'limited edition' Mathmos lava lamp, but sadly nowadays the wax doesn't do every much. After allowing for a warming up period the wax will gloop in the normal lava lamp fashion. After an hour the show starts to look much different, the wax stays at the bottom doing a very slight warble and that's about it.

Have any of you noticed this sort of behavior with lava lamps before?

BTW, if it's not a Mathmos it's not a lava lamp.

Originally posted by PinkPoshRat View Post
    I was once quite satisfied with the performance of my 'limited edition' Mathmos lava lamp, but sadly nowadays the wax doesn't do every much. After allowing for a warming up period the wax will gloop in the normal lava lamp fashion. After an hour the show starts to look much different, the wax stays at the bottom doing a very slight warble and that's about it.

Have any of you noticed this sort of behavior with lava lamps before?

BTW, if it's not a Mathmos it's not a lava lamp.
    Assuming your bulb is still giving out the required heat, and I don't see why it shouldn't be, you need to change the glass bottle thingy every few years.

Comment

So do bulbs give out less heat over time? Surely not??

I may try another bottle as the wax might only have a certain amount of gloopability

Comment

So do bulbs give out less heat over time? Surely not??

I may try another bottle as the wax might only have a certain amount of gloopability
        I think it's a bottle issue. Shop around on-line and it may be cheaper to get a new lamp.

Comment

Mathmos Replacement Parts

I need a new bulb for my one.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

lava lamps!!!!!

you guys are just aging hippies

do you tiedye your tshirts??

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
              Mathmos Replacement Parts

I need a new bulb for my one.
              Their bulbs are a bit pricey, there's a markup if ever I saw one. Asda do the same bulbs for less

Comment

Or try doing what this guy did
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I thought lava lamps were 70's

What else have you got?

Do you have a Space hopper?
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                    I thought lava lamps were 70's

What else have you got?

Do you have a Space hopper?
                    There is a resurgence of interest with university students every few years.

A few of my mates at universities I went to had lava lamps, space hoppers, plastic inflatable chairs, etc.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X