• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Documentation does not compute...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Documentation does not compute...

WTF is this meant to mean? Do I run it or don't I?

You must run the Common Inventory Technology enabler before installing IBM® License Metric Tool agents on any hosts with guest operating systems that run either under Microsoft® Virtual Server or a VMware server that does not use the VMware Virtual Center. Otherwise, no partition information is available when you install the agents, and they are registered on the administration server with a status of incomplete.
    Before you begin
    Important: Note that running the Common Inventory Technology enabler is not required when a given agent is managed by a VM Manager (including IBM WebSphere CloudBurst Appliance).
    A VM Manager is VMWare Virtual Center or Microsoft Hyper-V...
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    WTF is this meant to mean? Do I run it or don't I?

A VM Manager is VMWare Virtual Center or Microsoft Hyper-V...
    I think there are a few third party applications now that can managed VMWare or the like
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

What a load of tosh - Just use VirtualBox instead.
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Further to that:

Common Inventory Technology enabler is a script that enables the Common
        Inventory Technology to obtain information about partitioned environments. It is
        required by the agent on systems not managed by VM managers such as ESX or
        Virtual Center.
        So one part of the documentation says I have to run this CIT but elsewhere, in numerous sections, it tells me I don't. Who wrote this tulip?

The infrastructure is already in place with Hyper-V (about 180 Windows systems,) XEN open source (about 500 servers) and AIX LPARS so I can't change anything yet you have to use this software for sub-capacity reporting. I've successfully installed it on various other systems (Win, AIX, Linux and zLinux) but they made numerous change sin the latest release but somehow forgot some of the documentation updates, aaarrgh
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          What a load of tosh - Just use VirtualBox instead.
          I nearly bought VMware workstation a couple of months ago, but found it a performance hog in contrast with VBox. Yes, it will allow your total clients' RAM to exceed your available RAM, but it does that by paging, and that paging starts before you run out of the physical stuff.

Your mileage may vary, but I got sick of seeing the disk activity lights solidly on for much of the time. Give me some whacking great servers with decent disk farms to have a go at and I'd probably say the opposite.
          Last edited by Sysman; 16 June 2011, 13:39.
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
            I nearly bought VMware workstation a couple of months ago, but found it a performance hog in contrast with VBox. Yes, it will allow your total clients' RAM to exceed your available RAM, but it does that by paging, and that paging starts before you run out of the physical stuff.

Your mileage may vary, but I got sick of seeing the disk activity lights solidly on for much of the time. Give me some whacking great servers with decent disk farms to have a go at and I'd probably say the opposite.
            You can easily configure workstation to use only physical RAM. But that is beside the point. Aside from the fact that ESX is a totally different beast it's the installation of an IBM license monitoring tool within the virtualised environment that is causing problems, nothing to do with the choice of hypervisor. To that extent OwlHoot's advice was about as useful as a bunch of daffodils.
            Last edited by doodab; 16 June 2011, 13:50.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
              You can easily configure workstation to use only physical RAM. But that is beside the point. Aside from the fact that ESX is a totally different beast it's the installation of an IBM license monitoring tool within the virtualised environment that is causing problems, nothing to do with the choice of hypervisor. To that extent OwlHoot's advice was about as useful as a bunch of daffodils.
              I was answering OwlHoot's post about VirtualBox.

The stuff that darmstadt is dealing with is indeed a different kettle of fish. I've seen license monitoring tools which not only have a manual just as thick as the admin manual, but have used more resources than the main product itself.
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post

I see what Darmstadt's problem is now. Not being familiar with this licencing tool, I just assumed all the IBMish gobbledook related somehow to VMWare itself.
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                X