• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The joy of Apples

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The joy of Apples

A bit of cox worship. Nothing to do with iPhones.

BBC News - British to the core

Does anyone have an orchard?
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Originally posted by doodab View Post
    A bit of cox worship. Nothing to do with iPhones.

BBC News - British to the core

Does anyone have an orchard?
    Do you like cox then?
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
      Do you like cox then?
      I like most apple varieties that I have tried.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I've got two apple, two pear, a damson and a fig. Haven't a clue what type of apples or pears they are and the fig tree has given 1 solitary fig in 3 years, as the birds seem to eat all the fig buds as soon as they came out.
        "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
          I've got two apple, two pear, a damson and a fig. Haven't a clue what type of apples or pears they are and the fig tree has given 1 solitary fig in 3 years, as the birds seem to eat all the fig buds as soon as they came out.
          Do you make damson gin? Mmmm

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            Do you make damson gin? Mmmm
            Am allergic to gin and the birds seem to destroy the fruits most years.
            "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
              Am allergic to gin and the birds seem to destroy the fruits most years.
              Damson vodka works well, if you can keep the birds away.

Comment

As cider is my preferred summer drink I've often thought about growing apples to have a go at making my own cider.

More so after realising that much of the commercial stuff is chemicaly castrated and you need to try real cider for real cider.

A neighbour has an apple tree and it looks easy enough to maintain. Biggest problem he has is keeping the local kids away. Once 'caught' a group pilfering the tree and when they spotted me they asked if I wanted one. I just laughed and walked past, recalling the days when I used to do the same as a lad, though I think they were crab apples. The really sour ones.
                Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                Feist - I Feel It All
                Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                  Damson vodka works well, if you can keep the birds away.
                  I'm working on horseradish vodka (great in Bloody marys), when the hoseradish is ready

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Got a cherry tree. Ruddy birds scoff the lot before they are ripe.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                    X