• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Which ISP

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which ISP

Were I live the two cups and string which attach me to the tiniternet will only allow me to connect at a massive 1mbps. My ISP are offering a 1mbps link for £14.99 (unlimited download limit) which is some whay off the £24.99 I'm currently paying. So I am now out of contract and have my MAC code. Who are a good ISP to be with? I want an unlimited download, a reliable connection and preferably no 12 month contract.

Also, do any of you pay for business braodband as opposed to the cheaper home broadband accounts? If so, what are the benefits to justify the significantly higher monthly cost?
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

I'd recommend Telewest's BlueYonder - they are probably the only ones who are honouring unlimited downloads at the moment. IMO Business account is only worth if you actually run business or use lots of bandwidth - so far I have not heard about BT and others trying to kick some fuss with business broadband users.

Comment

I'm not in a cable area so that is them and NTL out
      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

I use Nildram at home and they are pretty good. They havent outsourced their call centre to India, which is always a bonus!

But heres the things...I live in Canary Wharf and even though this place is the new financial hub of London you still cant get anything above 2MB for broadband!

Mailman

Comment

I am a resseller for one of the big players. I am not going to push my company on you but if you want a link to my site then ask. Same applies if you want to join the multi level marketting scheme (dont even think about starting the usual arguement)

In my experience all the big players are much of a muchness, as they get bigger their levels of service do not keep up but they are usualy cheap and they have a decent level of up time.

There is always a small provider offering faster or cheaper services. These are often very very good, but they very soon reach a bandwidth problem as their customer base grows.

Either pick a small firm and be willing to keep moving or put up with the standards of service of the big players.

Be aware that the smaller players do not own their own infra structure so can not upgrade to deal with bandwidth.
          I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
          Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Telewest is £15 for 2MB unlimited. And it's cable so you don't get any crappy long line issues etc.

If you can't get Telewest then Virgin.net are OK, though their support line is premium rate.
            Last edited by swamp; 29 March 2006, 12:49.
            Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by Mailman
              I use Nildram at home and they are pretty good. They havent outsourced their call centre to India, which is always a bonus!
              Me too, have been with Nildram for years and get pretty good service from them. I have a residental account but one short email request and they happily changed the billing address and direct debit to that of my Ltd Co.

Comment

Avoid ukonline like the plague. Useless support and there's been many days when they refuse the connection.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish
                  Were I live the two cups and string which attach me to the tiniternet will only allow me to connect at a massive 1mbps. My ISP are offering a 1mbps link for £14.99 (unlimited download limit) which is some whay off the £24.99 I'm currently paying. So I am now out of contract and have my MAC code. Who are a good ISP to be with? I want an unlimited download, a reliable connection and preferably no 12 month contract.

Also, do any of you pay for business braodband as opposed to the cheaper home broadband accounts? If so, what are the benefits to justify the significantly higher monthly cost?
                  Tony,

the following site has a number of reviews of each ISP

http://www.adslguide.org

Comment

I'm on adsl4less, also known as HotChilli. £14.99 pm true unlimited download. Service is reliable, support is a little iffy but I've only callled them once in 2 years.

Run 3 PC's and two servers off it and never had a problem.
                    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                    X