• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Distance Learning

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Distance Learning

Am thinking of having ago at an MSC through the Open University starting in November. It's not really motivated by job prospects or major career moves or anything, just something I feel like doing.

Anyone on here still studying part-time, anyone used the Open University or similar.

Thoughts/Experiences/Abuse all welcome.

OS

Studying part time

Tutorials are all done via conference call which is good if you CBA that week, you can just dial in and tune out
    Online reference material is so good now I don't find myself wishing I could easily get to the library

ACM.org is quite good if you're doing anything computer related
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
      Am thinking of having ago at an MSC through the Open University starting in November. It's not really motivated by job prospects or major career moves or anything, just something I feel like doing.

Anyone on here still studying part-time, anyone used the Open University or similar.

OS
      You do risk becoming a MSC technical bore though, finding that you will attempt to correct other CUKKERS posts on CUK with some non-sensical ramblings about authors and definitions of terms.

Like SpaceCadet(bloody relational databases indeed)
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        You do risk becoming a MSC technical bore though, finding that you will attempt to correct other CUKKERS posts on CUK with some non-sensical ramblings about authors and definitions of terms.

Like SpaceCadet(bloody relational databases indeed)
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

OS
          I have just been accepted up to do my MSc through distance learning starting September, although gone for Edinburgh Napier rather than the OU.
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

OS
            Didn't use the OU but I did study part-time and really enjoyed it. I did find it difficult finding time to do all the work, while keeping everyone else happy ("no, I can't go to the pub. I've got a paper to write" did not go down well).
            I'd say go for it though!
            +50 Xeno Geek Points
            Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
            As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

I did an OU course last year, was supposed to be the start of doing a full degree with them but then got made redundant so no-one to pay for it now

Found it avery good, very interesting and a way of focussing on somethiong totally unrealated to work (I was studying Law.)

It was hard work though, and you will need to be organised and make sure you manage your time to fit everything in. Writing a couple of thousand words on a subject may not sound like much, but you can run out of time very quickly if you arn't carefull!
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                I did an OU course last year, was supposed to be the start of doing a full degree with them but then got made redundant so no-one to pay for it now

Found it avery good, very interesting and a way of focussing on somethiong totally unrealated to work (I was studying Law.)

It was hard work though, and you will need to be organised and make sure you manage your time to fit everything in. Writing a couple of thousand words on a subject may not sound like much, but you can run out of time very quickly if you arn't carefull!
                Was it an undergrad degree? How many hours a week did you typically out into it?

Comment

Was it an undergrad degree? How many hours a week did you typically out into it?
                  It was an undergrad course.

I probably averaged 20-25 hours a month on it, most of it compressed into two or three days before each deadline. Others on the course were doing a lot more. I spend my days reading reference material and writing reports and I enjoy writing about subjects that interest me so going back to academic study wasn't too much a of a leap. Others found it a lot harder.

There were group tutorials local to me once a month and they were well worth going to, just to sound out your approach to answering that months assignments if nothing else, as well as making sure you were understanding the meaning of some of the terminaology and framing of the course material.
                  Last edited by DaveB; 17 June 2011, 15:18. Reason: Although obviously it did nothing for my ability to spell or type.
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I'm studying with the OU. Highly recommended with the following caveats:

If you're doing something IT related, it's possible that the material is going to be a bit out of date. Check when the course was written. I'm doing art history, and even that seems out of date when we're looking at gender issues, other cultures and display issues (half the module!) as things have changed so much in the last 10 years. So probably worth checking what, if anything, the OU do to keep tech stuff up to date.

Did a post grad module (project management) many years ago - it was interesting and taught basic planning / critical path / resource allocation / risk assessment techniques, but I imagine would be a bit to basic for anyone with any real experience - the courses are aimed at people with no real prior knowledge.

Currently doing undergrad art history and really enjoying it. The amount of work does depend on what you're doing. For a 60 point course, they reckon 16 hours a week. At level 1, I was probably spending 5 hours a week, but the level 2 courses definitely required a lot more effort. Just signed up for level 3 Renaissance Art for next year, but reliably informed it shouldn't be any more work than level 2.

Post grad modules are also a lot more expensive than the undergrad. If you choose a level 1 module, you can pay with tesco vouchers too!

Comment

Working...
                    X