• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

So first day tomorrow...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So first day tomorrow...

So first day tomorrow of my contracting life as a BA in a well known credit checking/data analytics company in the East Midlands...

What are the "no-nos" and "make sure ya dos" for a first day?

Serious and light hearted responses are equally appreciated! Here is a dancing banana to encourage some light hearted responses....

Don't be tempted to look up your neighbours in their database.

I've known people get fired from that company for that.

And with any luck their canteen will be improved in the Blue Box...
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      Don't be tempted to look up your neighbours in their database.

I've known people get fired from that company for that.

And with any luck their canteen will be improved in the Blue Box...
      How about checking family members and friends, that's ok right....? I'll get my coat...

Comment

Don't get impatient if you don't get a working PC the first day.

Don't get impatient if they don't give you anything to do straight away. Get stuck into reading relevant documentation instead.

Don't post negative comments about them or their working practices on this forum. You have given us a clue who they are.
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

The most impressive thing I ever saw a contractor do on his first day was bring in a miniature espresso machine and install it on his desk.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
            The most impressive thing I ever saw a contractor do on his first day was bring in a miniature espresso machine and install it on his desk.
            Did he sell many coffees?
            Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Oh yeah - don't let anyone here know where you work.

Remember that one for your next contract.
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Oh yeah - don't let anyone here know where you work.
                Also, don't get depressed by the prison camp style setting. Don't get frustrated by an idiot entry system - it does its job of preventing entry by undesirables... most of the time. Do your time, and then you're out.
                Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                  Don't get impatient if you don't get a working PC the first day.

Don't get impatient if they don't give you anything to do straight away. Get stuck into reading relevant documentation instead.

Don't post negative comments about them or their working practices on this forum. You have given us a clue who they are.
                  Yeh this is sound advice, I' quite eager to get stuck in but can imagine set up being a slow process. Might have to bite my tongue for the first few days!

Comment

Your primary focus ought to be on "When can I start invoicing?" as opposed to "When will I actually succeed in being productive?".

HTH
                    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
                    X