• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Any suggestions for my trip to Northumberland ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any suggestions for my trip to Northumberland ...

I'm taking some well deserved time off next week with the family and parents, and are heading up to Northumberland on my parents recommendation. Renting a nice cottage on the coast with a hot tub etc so looking forward to chilling out. Anyone got any suggestions for things to do in the Alnwick, Alnmouth, Seahouses area?

Was planning on a day in Edinburgh, maybe a day in Berwick perhaps, maybe a trip to Lindisfarne (the island not the naff 80's band that is )

Any ideas on things to do and see, chaps?

(BTW, this is a family orientated holiday, so please no suggestions for cocaine fuelled benders in lap dancing bars... )

Originally posted by zeitghost
    Make sure the tide is out when travelling the causeway to Lindisfarne.

Holy Island Crossing Times - Lindisfarne

P.S. They were a 70s band.
    Apart from National Trust | Cragside House, Gardens & Estate and Holy Island I can't think of many more things to do.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Check out Kielder water and forest for a light walk/picnic
      and Hadrians wall if you like that type of thing

there are lots of nice olde Englishe villages along the wall in Northumbria

(\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

There pretty much isn't anything at all to do round there. We went a few years ago, attracted by the rugged-looking pictures of places like Bamburgh Castle...

...but it turns out that's about as hospitable as it gets round there.

Yes to Edinburgh, and to Newcastle as well. It's a bit of a trek, but parts of Hadrian's Wall are amazing, and there's Durham. The Beamish heritage museum is well worth visiting with kids (Beamish, The Living Museum of the North). But generally, it really is bleak on the Northumbrian coast, even for those that like that sort of thing.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisPackit View Post
          I'm taking some well deserved time off next week with the family and parents, and are heading up to Northumberland on my parents recommendation. Renting a nice cottage on the coast with a hot tub etc so looking forward to chilling out. Anyone got any suggestions for things to do in the Alnwick, Alnmouth, Seahouses area?

Was planning on a day in Edinburgh, maybe a day in Berwick perhaps, maybe a trip to Lindisfarne (the island not the naff 80's band that is )

Any ideas on things to do and see, chaps?

(BTW, this is a family orientated holiday, so please no suggestions for cocaine fuelled benders in lap dancing bars... )
          Bamburgh Castle is worth a look if thats your sort of thing, (far) south end of Bamburg beach often has seals sunbathing or otherwise lounging around on the rocks.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I could never think of any good reason to go to Northumberland.

I've heard there are lots of geordie slappers on Quayside, but if you're going with the missus that might not be much use.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post

I've heard there are lots of geordie slappers on Quayside, but if you're going with the missus that might not be much use.

I think you may be tarring the whole of Northumberland with the 'Newcastle' brush there

Newcastle is a great night out with the lads, but from what I've heard it's quite a beautiful place when you're off the beaten track.

My parents say that there are some beaches up on that coast that rival the cornish beaches but are uninhabitted. We shall see...

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post

1) It's on the way to Scotland? Home of free prescriptions, education and democracy.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisPackit View Post
                  I think you may be tarring the whole of Northumberland with the 'Newcastle' brush there

Newcastle is a great night out with the lads, but from what I've heard it's quite a beautiful place when you're off the beaten track.

My parents say that there are some beaches up on that coast that rival the cornish beaches but are uninhabitted. We shall see...
                  Some of the beaches are beautiful, but they are uninhabited because of the 90 mph winds, and temperatures of 9 deg C on the best summers day.

Think of the North Pole with a nice beach.

HTH.

PS, I think the Geordie slappers are the best attraction in the NE.

Comment

I was on holiday there as a kid myself. Good childhood memories of Bamburgh Castle with sand dunes and decent beaches nearby (but the water is cold). Berwick had proper castle walls a kid could imagine defending with boiling tar etc. Lindisfarne (with mead for the adults - yuk, sickly stuff, don't buy too much to take away).

There are also boat trips from Seahouses to the Farne Islands

Roman fort remains at the wonderfully named Corstopitum.

As EO said, some nice villages.

Depending on time available, plan a route either on the way there or back to take in the North Yorkshire Moors. You might also be able to fit in Angel of the North.
                    Last edited by Sysman; 20 June 2011, 12:08.
                    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Working...
                    X