• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Doom and gloom

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doom and gloom

It's been 5 months since I was in the UK, returned during the weekend.

A number of shops I once knew have either changed owners or been boarded up. Anyhow I took my cash to look for some clothes, "SALE" "50% off" and I was like about the only one in the shop, I'm like what's going on. Went into Gant got some great bargains had to get another case to bring all my goodies back with me.

DP was not kidding about all that doom, I would not have believed it if I had not seen it with my own eyes.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    It's been 5 months since I was in the UK, returned during the weekend.

A number of shops I once knew have either changed owners or been boarded up. Anyhow I took my cash to look for some clothes, "SALE" "50% off" and I was like about the only one in the shop, I'm like what's going on. Went into Gant got some great bargains had to get another case to bring all my goodies back with me.

DP was not kidding about all that doom, I would not have believed it if I had not seen it with my own eyes.
    What was the location of these shops ?
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
      What was the location of these shops ?
      Edinburgh.

Then I went through to Glasgow, business as usual no recession here.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Anyhow I took my cash to look for some clothes, "SALE" "50% off" and I was like about the only one in the shop, I'm like what's going on. Went into Gant got some great bargains had to get another case to bring all my goodies back with me.
        Were you perhaps held hostage by Septics whilst working abroad scooterscot?
        “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
          Were you perhaps held hostage by Septics whilst working abroad scooterscot?
          I was like wondering that.

Comment

Where the heck do you live ? In some remote island ? Come to a decent town in South east and the high streets are jam packed with shoppers getting tipsy carrying bags filled with tat from Primark, Poundland, 99p shop etc. Some are so dazed and tired with all the credit card swiping they need to rest every five minutes and stuff themselves with burger and chips.
            Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Weird but true - in my local town all the eateries are chocka with diners in the evenings, lots of new reg plate cars and a heaving shopping centre.
              Also John Lewis has announced plans to open in the town next year

But I have noticed that houses are not selling
              How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
                Where the heck do you live ? In some remote island ?

<< say right there.

Here in Munich there's no sign of business or people cutting back.
                Last edited by scooterscot; 20 June 2011, 14:03.

Comment

<< say right there.

Here in Munich there's no sign of business or people cutting back.
                  The Germans have got all those Greek mouths to feed.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                    The Germans have got all those Greek mouths to feed.
                    That's OK I don't eat currywurst

Comment

Working...
                    X