• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The plan to smother Wales with Windmills

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The plan to smother Wales with Windmills

....has been replaced by a plan to smother Ireland.

Britain offers to subsidise Irish wind farm industry - The Irish Times - Mon, Jun 20, 2011

Perhaps we can also dump our Nuclear waste there too.
    I'm alright Jack

Originally posted by zeitghost
    The madness continues.

TAN8 appears to be A Cunning Plan to smother every hill & mountain in Wales with the infernal windmills.

450 feet tall windmills at that.
    Just paint the masts green and the rotors yellow, tidy.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

I really cant see how the idiotic "green" renewable energy movement gained so much ground. Technically, nuclear power is the greenest form of energy. More friendly than wind, wave, solar and hyrdo power. Anyone who claims to truly care about the green ethos should rally against renewable energy and encourage nuclear power.

People dont think about the low production of power per m2, the amount of materials that go in to a windmill or other renewable energy solutions that make it environmentally harmful.

I would suggest anyone who wants to read a fair subjective report, not sponsored by evil companies such as RES, have a read through this mans blog and download his pdf by searching google for "nuclear heresies":

The Nuclear Green Revolution: Jesse H. Ausubel: Renewable and Nuclear Heresies

Comment

To say nothing of turning the countryside into a giant pin-cushion.

Comment

This country is full of green *******.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
            You could have put a warning on that its 33 pages of text and no pictures,

Sorry, I'm out!
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

What have you people got against change?

Harvesting energy from natural resources such as wind as opposed to making the fuel removes so much unnecessary processing, safety concerns, bureaucrat red tape it's little wonder the windmill population is exploding. Processes cost money, the cost of operating, maintaining and decommissioning a nuclear power plant would almost bail out a bank.
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                Heathen, stone him!
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post

Harvesting energy from natural resources such as wind as opposed to making the fuel removes so much unnecessary processing, safety concerns, bureaucrat red tape it's little wonder the windmill population is exploding. Processes cost money, the cost of operating, maintaining and decommissioning a nuclear power plant would almost bail out a bank.
                  Read the information I posted before you make a fool out of yourself.

Natural resources such as wind, compared to the energy output of a reactor is far more expensive and uses much more resources.

Comment

Originally posted by wim121 View Post
                    Read the information I posted before you make a fool out of yourself.

Natural resources such as wind, compared to the energy output of a reactor is far more expensive and uses much more resources.
                    Ok lets do some research then, 60 seconds...

To quote your text you linked:

Berkeley engineer Per Petersen reports that for an average MWe a typical wind-energy system operating with a 6.5 meters-per-second average wind speed requires construction inputs of 460 metric tons of steel and 870 cubic meters of concrete. For comparison, the construction of existing 1970-vintage US nuclear power plants required 40 metric tons of steel and 190 cubic meters of concrete per average megawatt of electricity generating capacity. Wind’s infrastructure takes 5-10 times the steel and concrete as nuclear’s.
                    Surely if were this true we'd put a massive big stop to the whole thing. You must know what you're talking about, you got it off the internet. Once you build a wind farm maintenance is all that remains. With a nuclear, fuel does not grow on trees, the energy that must be spent on:

1) Mining

2) Milling

3) Uranium conversion

4) Enrichment

5) Fabrication

6) Transport of radioactive materials

7) Used fuel

8) Reprocessing

I'm sure the example you provide considers the infrastructure required to support all those processes, right?
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                    X