• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Authorisation for signing a contract?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Authorisation for signing a contract?

Just a quick question, Mrs B used to sign the contracts for our Ltd Co, but she is no longer a director. She is still the Co Secretary, can she sign still a contract for the Ltd Co? Thanks.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Depends.

Some agencies and companies will require a director to sign paperwork, others don't care who the company representative is.

They will generally indicate on the paperwork by the word "Director" if they expect it to be signed by one of the company's directors.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Thanks, it just says, "signed on behalf of". So it'll be fine for Mrs B to sign, it seems.

Comment

BTW it's a good idea to work out what you authorise you Company Secretary or whoever to sign for on your Company's behalf and record it in some minutes. Then also make sure they know exactly what they can and can't sign for.

I worked at a bank years ago and convinced the head of department to go through all the signatures of company signatories to check who had authorisation to sign things as there was an issue with signatures changing and people leaving.

Even after this there were many small companies where signatories who weren't authorised to sign for things any more kept signing documents. Some of them weren't aware they weren't authorised to sign the bank paperwork on behalf of their company until one of my colleagues told them......
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
          Just a quick question, Mrs B used to sign the contracts for our Ltd Co, but she is no longer a director. She is still the Co Secretary, can she sign still a contract for the Ltd Co? Thanks.
          Maybe it's a dumb question but can you tell us how come don't you sign it yourself? I mean, you can't be doing that many contracts that it's such a chore.
          Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Yes, it's a dumb question. I'm in London where I work and the contract is in Manchester where I live. Plus, I like Mrs B to be as involved in the running of the Ltd Co as possible because it just makes sense to do so.

Comment

Yes, it's a dumb question. I'm in London where I work and the contract is in Manchester where I live.
              Oh. A paper contract that gets sent via the post. How quaint.

Fair enough about involving the wife though, it's a good way to justify their salary I'll keep that one in mind.
              Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
                Oh. A paper contract that gets sent via the post. How quaint.

Fair enough about involving the wife though, it's a good way to justify their salary I'll keep that one in mind.
                Exactly, I make sure all correspondence for the Ltd Co goes out in her name where possible. We do have post in the grim North, we've moved on from carrier pigeons.

Comment

Yes, it's a dumb question. I'm in London where I work and the contract is in Manchester where I live. Plus, I like Mrs B to be as involved in the running of the Ltd Co as possible because I pay her so much each year in salary to avoid taxation.
                  FTFY :-)
                  Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

It is possible depends on how important the contract is

Comment

Working...
                    X