• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Revaluation of fixed assets

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Revaluation of fixed assets

Going to close my company shortly. Really ancient/defective equipment has been chucked out and have revalued the not quite so ancient/working stuff as there was an unrealistic 15% depreciation rate, as originally set by accountants.

Know how to handle disposals/sales as done those before but can't find anything sensible about how to show the revaluation in notes to the accounts. Found a thing on accountingweb where there was disagreement!

Anyone got a working example? Cheers.

PS Anyone need a Windows 3.1 black and white laptop? Very cheap.
    PPS Or a parallel port PC tape drive?
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    PS Anyone need a Windows 3.1 black and white laptop? Very cheap.
    PPS Or a parallel port PC tape drive?
    According to your books wern't they worth £1800 three months ago??
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

No, I revalued them at £19,800. Rare collectors items them.

Actually you're not far wrong, things cost a fortune then. I paid £950 for a Win98 laptop.
      bloggoth

John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

when did you pay that 950 pound?

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        No, I revalued them at £19,800. Rare collectors items them.

Actually you're not far wrong, things cost a fortune then. I paid £950 for a Win98 laptop.

Comment

Nov 2000, although that was including the VAT.
          bloggoth

Comment

Xog,

If you are going the ESC16 route then why bother revaluing?

If the retained funds you are going to distribute after all allowances etc are such that you are not to pay any CGT then it doesn't matter from that side of things. I guess though you might be able to achieve some CT relief in effect though which might be useful.

You can also ensure you reduce the retained funds by ensuring you pay dividends to get you as close to the 40% banding as possible thus helping to minimise potential CGT exposure.

If you still need to revalue them find some ads on ebay to gauge prices and revalue them to that. I would imagine you are talking about a relatively small sum and in my experience HMIT is not going to be particularly interested.

Comment

It is pretty small, about £1200 of ancient equipment before disposals/revaluation and £320 after but seemed a good idea to make it realistic just in case. Plus I am a ridiculously anal personality that has to have everything accurate to the last 2p. Think I've sorted how to show it in accounts now anyway. Cheers.
              bloggoth

Comment

Working...
              X