• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Baby on the way!! Contract issues

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baby on the way!! Contract issues

Got a slight dilemma and recon I know what I will do but just thought I'd throw this out there in case anyone else has any bright ideas.

Basically my partner is expecting our first baby beginning Aug and my current contract ends in Sept. Now I know I want to have Aug off (no question) and we have discussed me having Sept off as well. (Have enough in the war chest for this)

At the moment I'm thinking of going to the client (they currently don’t know anything about baby) and telling them that I want the time off and giving them the choice of keeping my contract going but obviously not paying me for the time off and then returning Oct. Or I will give my notice (4 weeks) and look for another contact in Oct. getting a sub is not feasible but I may be open to other options, potential home working 3 days a week and 2 days in the office.

Any other suggestions? I'd obviously like to keep the contract running but any other options you can suggest would be appreciated.

Work from home?

It'll probably be late anyway.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Go with honesty.

Tell them you're not availble for August/1st two weeks October for the baby reason.

Make the offer of pt working / but also take the paternity you want to eg. 1/2/3 weeks and then just see.

Don't feel pressurised to make a decision you don't want to and failing them taking you up on your offer just give notice.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Is it too late to give her a false name and address?

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
          Is it too late to give her a false name and address?

Oh congrats on the baby.
          Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Grats on the baby
            Growing old is mandatory
            Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by badger7579 View Post
              potential home working 3 days a week and 2 days in the office.
              I'd go for that option if at all possible. Very young babies don't do much but sleep and squawk anyway, and their clocks are shot to sh1t to begin with, so much of this takes place in the wee small hours. You may be astonished how crotchety sleep deprivation makes you!!
              Might also be worth considering staying in a hotel for a night or two whilst working at the office in order to recharge your batteries too.
              IMHO it is much more important to get home regularly once the baby has reached an age whereby it realises you are not just some giant, blurry, distant shape. Ideally they will also be going through the night by then.

Oh yeah................congrats too!!
              “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                I'd go for that option if at all possible. Very young babies don't do much but sleep and squawk anyway, and their clocks are shot to sh1t to begin with, so much of this takes place in the wee small hours. You may be astonished how crotchety sleep deprivation makes you!!
                Might also be worth considering staying in a hotel for a night or two whilst working at the office in order to recharge your batteries too.
                IMHO it is much more important to get home regularly once the baby has reached an age whereby it realises you are not just some giant, blurry, distant shape. Ideally they will also be going through the night by then.

Oh yeah................congrats too!!
                WSBS

It is more useful to be around more than usual for a prolonged period of time than to be at home for 2 weeks and then back to normal.

Also, if you have much of a commute and drive, and could switch to the train, it's worth thinking about. Valuable sleep time.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                  Go with honesty.

Tell them you're not availble for August/1st two weeks October for the baby reason.

Make the offer of pt working / but also take the paternity you want to eg. 1/2/3 weeks and then just see.

Don't feel pressurised to make a decision you don't want to and failing them taking you up on your offer just give notice.
                  Good advice - most management will have personally been through the baby on the way dilemma so should look on this request sympathetically

If not fook em
                  How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Carpe diem. Enjoy the birth, the miracle of new life, enjoy sharing these precious moments with your wife. Take 1/2/3 weeks paternity leave and spend time with your brood.

Initially you will most probably sleep when baby sleeps, and this can be any time of the night or day. Then you start to find your rythm and develop your own routine. By the end of week 2 you'll be seasoned pros and taking it all in your stride, and I suspect itching to get back to work.

Congrats.
                    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Working...
                    X