PDA

View Full Version : Why have I stopped getting -ve rep?

DimPrawn
21st June 2011, 09:50
Haven't had a death threat or vicious hateful rep comment for days now. Is the rep system broken?

:bang:

:rolleyes:

eek
21st June 2011, 09:53
Haven't had a death threat or vicious hateful rep comment for days now. Is the rep system broken?

I bet someone has corrected that anomaly by now but I think repgate has caused some people to ignore the rep system. Don't know why as its only a game.

MarillionFan
21st June 2011, 09:58
If you can't be nice to people then don't say anything at all.

doodab
21st June 2011, 09:58
Is the rep system broken?

Sort of. It's no longer anonymous, so people have gone back to trading insults face to face.

suityou01
21st June 2011, 10:02
If you can't be nice to people then don't say anything at all.

Shut it you dry lunch :rolleyes:

MarillionFan
Sort of. It's no longer anonymous, so people have gone back to trading insults face to face.

It's been bleached.

Old Greg

I sign my reps MF, so nobody knows it's me.

MarillionFan
21st June 2011, 10:03
I sign my reps MF, so nobody knows it's me.

I sign my knut, so they know it's Old Greg.

Old Greg
21st June 2011, 10:05
I sign my knut, so they know it's Old Greg.

I'm lazy, so I like to save myself two keystrokes to achieve the same meaning.

suityou01
21st June 2011, 10:07
Get a room :rolleyes:

Spacecadet
21st June 2011, 10:08
So is the rep system going to be "fixed"?

Old Greg

It's against my company's Health and Safety policy.

MarillionFan

Will you take us there on the back of your bike?

MarillionFan
21st June 2011, 10:09
So is the rep system going to be "fixed"?

Nicks already fixed it.:mad:

d000hg
21st June 2011, 10:11
I sign my reps MF, so nobody knows it's me.We all know what you sign your rep :)

SimonMac
21st June 2011, 10:29
Essentially because people are cowards, they are happy to hide behind a veil of anonymity but now that has gone people are behaving like grown ups for a change and weighing up the consequences of their actions.

Either that or no one cares about rep anymore!

eek
21st June 2011, 10:40
Essentially because people are cowards, they are happy to hide behind a veil of anonymity but now that has gone people are behaving like grown ups for a change and weighing up the consequences of their actions.

To an extent I think most people have probably used their rep counters up retaliating over the weekend once people knew who really did what.

I'm with MF as I don't believe I've given an rep to anything that didn't deserve it one way or another (apart from Russell and that really doesn't count).

doodab
21st June 2011, 10:53
Nicks already fixed it.:mad:

How do you mean?

Old Greg
21st June 2011, 11:08

That is grossly unfair. Giving a false name is totally different from repping anonymously.

shaunbhoy
21st June 2011, 11:09

Dunno. It is nothing you've done.

hyperD
21st June 2011, 11:15
I'm with MF as I don't believe I've given an rep to anything that didn't deserve it one way or another (apart from Russell and that really doesn't count).

Would my honourable friend like to reconsider that statement?

MarillionFan
21st June 2011, 11:18
I suppose, now it's not anonymous it's more difficult to game it.

Only one thing to do...

Sockies!

eek
21st June 2011, 11:21
Would my honourable friend like to reconsider that statement?

No because you question confirms everything.

OwlHoot
21st June 2011, 12:03

TBO, I think outing reppers has been a mixed blessing.

Now our curiosity has been satisfied, I vote Nick tweaks the system to "anonymize" the unique post ID and user ID (i.e. encrypts the rep comment tags reversibly) so these values are still available back on the server but no longer to us.

Also, it would be a challenge to try and crack the system again (not that I was one of those who managed it the first time).

doodab
21st June 2011, 12:10
TBO, I think outing reppers has been a mixed blessing.

Now our curiosity has been satisfied, I vote Nick tweaks the system to "anonymize" the unique post ID and user ID (i.e. encrypts the rep comment tags reversibly) so these values are still available back on the server but no longer to us.

Also, it would be a challenge to try and crack the system again (not that I was one of those who managed it the first time).

As far as I can see the only reason the user id appears on the "recent rep" page is to ensure the id of the <li> elements is unique, so it could probably be replaced with a sequence number or loop iteration variable.

NickFitz
21st June 2011, 12:39
As far as I can see the only reason the user id appears on the "recent rep" page is to ensure the id of the <li> elements is unique, so it could probably be replaced with a sequence number or loop iteration variable.

Indeed - and, in fact, there doesn't seem to be any good reason for those elements to have an id attribute in the first place :nerd

DaveB
21st June 2011, 13:08
Indeed - and, in fact, there doesn't seem to be any good reason for those elements to have an id attribute in the first place :nerd

Unless there's a way for Admin to see who has repped who then it would be a useful way of being able to track abuse of the system to harrass other users*

*in the kind of forums where insults, threats and sectarian abuse are not regarded as part of the general background noise.

MarillionFan
21st June 2011, 13:15
I for one will not be using the rep system until it is made anonymous again and I am able to sign my reps as someone else as it is designed to do without fear of being outed.

You've all spoilt it. :-(

eek
21st June 2011, 13:16
Unless there's a way for Admin to see who has repped who then it would be a useful way of being able to track abuse of the system to harrass other users*

I think that data is probably available in the database tables and doesn't need to be displayed in the user markup unless I'm very confused over the purpose of the the MVC pattern.

doodab
21st June 2011, 13:17

*in the kind of forums where insults, threats and sectarian abuse are not regarded as part of the general background noise.

The user id would still be in the database, but there is no reason for it to appear in a user visible web page.

doodab
21st June 2011, 13:20
I for one will not be using the rep system until it is made anonymous again and I am able to sign my reps as someone else as it is designed to do without fear of being outed.

The best way to make someone believe a -ve came from someone else was to sign it with your own name.

Old Greg
21st June 2011, 13:25

Operation Chutney Spoon is back on!

eek
21st June 2011, 13:27

I don't know what your worried about. Let's be honest the real reason people aren't negging at the moment is:-

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Old Greg again.

fullyautomatix
21st June 2011, 14:06
The real reason why the reputation system was designed anonymous is to possibly prevent groups of friendly posters to gang up and rep each other and falsely promote their reputation on the board.

To remove the userid in the rep HTML is probably very easy in the grand scheme of things but if the forum software is upgraded it would overwrite any customisation done to keep the rep anonymous.

DimPrawn
21st June 2011, 15:04
Go piss up a rope, f*ckstick........

That's more like it.

I bet you losers can't get my reputation to zero, fcuktards.

:devil

TestMangler
21st June 2011, 15:24
That's more like it.

I bet you losers can't get my reputation to zero, fcuktards.

:devil

And it's not even signed 'MF'

MaryPoppins
21st June 2011, 15:28

Ugh, what have I missed now?

MarillionFan
21st June 2011, 15:30

Nothing to concern your pretty little head.

Look a puppy!

doodab
21st June 2011, 15:34

We figured out a way to see who your reps are from.

MaryPoppins
21st June 2011, 16:13
We figured out a way to see who your reps are from.

I see. Can I still do it?

PRC1964
21st June 2011, 16:16
This should help: http://forums.contractoruk.com/general/67899-rep-identifying-bookmarklet.html

MaryPoppins
21st June 2011, 20:23
Cheers for all the negs, MF

:laugh

Ruprect
21st June 2011, 20:28
To an extent I think most people have probably used their rep counters up retaliating over the weekend once people knew who really did what.

*cough*

Ruprect
21st June 2011, 20:29
Nick figured out a way to see who your reps are from.

FTFY!

MarillionFan
21st June 2011, 21:21
Cheers for all the negs, MF

:laugh

And the +ve's young Mary. Tell the whole story.

MarillionFan
21st June 2011, 21:23
FTFY!

Nick didn't work it out. FA did. Nick then rode in on his Javascript horse and wrote a for next loop. Rivetting.:rolleyes:

MaryPoppins
21st June 2011, 21:28
And the +ve's young Mary. Tell the whole story.

Screw you :shit:head. It's OVER!

MarillionFan
21st June 2011, 21:39
Screw you tuliphead. It's OVER!

But. But , but I love you!. :cry1::cry2::cry3::ind:nerd:frown:ohwell:cool::pop corn::cheers::cheers::cheers::banana2::banana2::ba nana2::cool2::cool2::cool2::banana2::banana2::bana na2::cry2::cry1::cry3::zzzz:

MaryPoppins
21st June 2011, 21:55
But. But , but I love you!. :cry1::cry2::cry3::ind:nerd:frown:ohwell:cool::pop corn::cheers::cheers::cheers::banana2::banana2::ba nana2::cool2::cool2::cool2::banana2::banana2::bana na2::cry2::cry1::cry3::zzzz:

" Is there no-one this poster won't flirt with? "

MarillionFan
21st June 2011, 22:04
" Is there no-one this poster won't flirt with? "

:wink:wink

(bloody true though)

NickFitz
21st June 2011, 23:57
Nick didn't work it out. FA did. Nick then rode in on his Javascript horse...

Correct (http://forums.contractoruk.com/general/67899-rep-identifying-bookmarklet-3.html#post1347596) :)

...and wrote a for next loop. Rivetting.:rolleyes:

Oh dear - MF blows his credibility at the end by displaying a total inability to comprehend the code :laugh

Hint: "FOR... NEXT" is a construct in FORTRAN/ALGOL-family languages. You clearly couldn't handle FORTRAN or ALGOL so you're probably harking back to your stumbling attempts to use a toy language like one of Microsoft's shoddy tries at BASIC.

Have a look through this (http://mypage.iu.edu/~colallen/lp/) and pass comment when you've learned something about programming :rolleyes:

doodab
22nd June 2011, 06:07
FTFY!

No he didn't, FullyAutomatix did, shortly followed by a couple of others. Nick wrote the Javascript that makes it easy.

MarillionFan
22nd June 2011, 06:42
Correct (http://forums.contractoruk.com/general/67899-rep-identifying-bookmarklet-3.html#post1347596) :)
Oh dear - MF blows his credibility at the end by displaying a total inability to comprehend the code :laugh
Hint: "FOR... NEXT" is a construct in FORTRAN/ALGOL-family languages. You clearly couldn't handle FORTRAN or ALGOL so you're probably harking back to your stumbling attempts to use a toy language like one of Microsoft's shoddy tries at BASIC.

Have a look through this (http://mypage.iu.edu/~colallen/lp/) and pass comment when you've learned something about programming :rolleyes:

Have you ever wondered why your career as a standup comedian never took off.:eyes

doodab
22nd June 2011, 11:53
Have you ever wondered why your career as a standup comedian never took off.:eyes

Anyone with a half decent contracting career who chooses to pursue a career in stand up needs their head examined.

MarillionFan
22nd June 2011, 11:58
Anyone with a half decent contracting career who chooses to pursue a career in stand up needs their head examined.

'This complex For Next loop walks into the pub and the barman says 'That's Basic'

"Get off!"

mudskipper
22nd June 2011, 12:08
'This complex For Next loop walks into the pub and the barman says 'That's Basic'

"Get off!"

It takes a modem to run a baudy house.

doodab
22nd June 2011, 12:17
#!perl
# My Father, the Hacker v1.0
# by Yanick Champoux (12/9/2002)

use Data::Dumper;
$diaper = new Data::Dumper ([],[]); # welcome to fatherhood, buddy

localtime => 'after supper';

study $course or 'change baby ?';

eval $ituation;

$baby => glob happily;

no warnings;

$diaper->can( wait );

$mother = grep @you, "wooooh, buster.";

BEGIN{ /The/, speech }

warn 2, put, perlgolf, @ the, index qw(and she would do it, too) ,1
or 2, map wife => hex;

our $baby; #she says

listen "and nod a lot",
s/igh/
yes, dear
/;

grep @baby, '';

open DIAPER;
eof;
push @away, y!u!ck!;
dump 'into garbage bin';
unpack new, diaper;
waitpid qw/
careful, boys can /,sqrt/!
/;
close DIAPER;

put, baby, 2, sleep;

seek $wife,'s approval',
bless "strange hobby", 'now?';

return "to perlgolf" if s.he does..;

EternalOptimist
22nd June 2011, 12:43
This integer variable walks into the pub and says to the manager 'this will be my 32,768th pint'

The manager says 'get out. you've had one to many'

:igmc:
:igmc:

Zippy
22nd June 2011, 13:11
It takes a modem to run a baudy house.

It's a SYN.

MarillionFan
11th April 2015, 07:17

Come on Admin, let Nick make it anonymous again!