• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone watch that Evan Davis Made in Britain show last night?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone watch that Evan Davis Made in Britain show last night?

I assume they'll be showing the Stig in that car in a few weeks? It was the TG track, right?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Yes it was their track - Felt he completely missed the point in the show. i.e. it's ok to let China have our volume manufacturing so long as we keep the small very high value sectors. Although he did touch on the fact that our manufacturing sector is far too small to sustain us.
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      I assume they'll be showing the Stig in that car in a few weeks? It was the TG track, right?
      Yes, I think it was the TG track. Evan Davis' face was a picture as ex Stig chucked it around
      I thought the rest of the program was a bit rambling. He didn't really back up his assertions IMO. I bet the bogs and the coffee at McLaren are superb, though.
      +50 Xeno Geek Points
      Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
      As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
        Felt he completely missed the point in the show. i.e. it's ok to let China have our volume manufacturing so long as we keep the small very high value sectors
        Is that your view, or the view you disagree with?

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
        Evan Davis' face was a picture as ex Stig chucked it around
        I didn't realise, was that really an ex-Stig?
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

He missed the point all the way through as he was gushing about how great we were at making this high value stuff while only touching on the point that we don't make enough
          Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            I didn't realise, was that really an ex-Stig?
            Knowing the Beeb, that was the current stig and they've just outed him . Probably thought we'd not notice it was the TG track as they appeared to be driving around it in the opposite direction in some parts.

The bit that made me do a massive was when Evan was saying that if we keep spending (i.e. a consumer society that relies heavily on imports) there's going to be trouble, but if we lock more of our money into our pensions we'll probably be alright. Hmmmm. It's consumer spending that has kept the country afloat for a while now.
            Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
            Feist - I Feel It All
            Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post

.. Felt he completely missed the point in the show. i.e. it's ok to let China have our volume manufacturing so long as we keep the small very high value sectors.
              Fine, but the Chinese aren't stupid. What happens when they pinch the "small, high value sectors" too?
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
                He didn't really back up his assertions IMO.
                Yes like how it was ok for Leeds to lose 100,000 textile jobs as they'd been replaced by a couple of thousand making jet fighters over the other side of the Pennines.
                Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                  Fine, but the Chinese aren't stupid. What happens when they pinch the "small, high value sectors" too?
                  That's what I kept saying to myself. There was this guy on from Bromptons who to me looked ripe for having thier product taken away by cheaper competition. He was showing the workmanship and care that was taken putting together each bike. That's as may be, but how cheaply can a machine put them together or how about a chap in a factory in China. With a bike going for £700 each there is plenty of scope for cost savings. I bet a bike could be done in China at a 7th of the cost and be 70% as good. I think many people would plump for the cheaper alternative!

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                    Indeed.

The Blomptons will be almost as good & much cheaper.

Loved the bit where the chap was brazing stuff together with oxyacetylene.

I didn't know that was used on a production basis any more.

Nice straight bit of brazing.
                    I used to do a bit oxyacetylene welding, turn the oxygen down and cover everything with silky black soot.

I think he made the point that his customers wouldn't want a Brompton if it wasn't made in the UK, I know UK built Nissans used to go for a premium in Japan.
                    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Working...
                    X