• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

On the bench and aready being dicked about by agencies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On the bench and aready being dicked about by agencies

Why do agencies need to be so tight lipped, devious and cretinous (sorry Dodgy not you you're lovely)

Agency rings and asks me if they can put my CV forward for gig A. Won't tell me who it's with, or precisely where, but I know it's in West Yorkshire. Day rate is fine, work sounds ok. Sure, go for it.

Next agency rings and asks if they can put me forward for gig B. Won't tell me who it's with, or precisely where, bit I know it's in West Yorkshire. Date rate is fine, work sounds ok. I highlight I've already been put forward for a similar sounding gig in West Yorkshire. I am told to rest assured they're not the same gig. Still won't tell me who it's for, just that it's a well known legal practice.

Then the first agency rings me this morning to tell me that HR at ClientCo have tossed my CV as they have had it multiple times from at least 3 other agencies.

How? One other I can possibly account for. Jeez.

Just rusty I guess as I haven't been on the bench for 20 months, and was hopelessy naive, should have got a full job spec from both and insisted on knowing all of the details.

But 3 other agencies? Sersiously? This means my CV is getting tossed in without my knowing, which seems like lunacy.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Next agency rings and asks if they can put me forward for gig B. Won't tell me who it's with, or precisely where, bit I know it's in West Yorkshire. Date rate is fine, work sounds ok. I highlight I've already been put forward for a similar sounding gig in West Yorkshire.
    What sort of agencies are you applying to?
    Do you charge extra for extra?
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Loads of jobs going here at Clientco.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
        What sort of agencies are you applying to?
        Do you charge extra for extra?
        LOL

Anyway - Surely there should be some common sense applied here?

If I'm qualifying someone, I want to know whether they've been put forwards for the role. Whether that means asking who they've been put forwards to, or whether they've been put forwards to XYZ, it matters not - but you should be able to identify whether you've been spoken to about the same role previously before agreeing to submission. I know everyone is chasing work here there and everywhere, but the more people who refuse to be put forwards without clear information, then better.....
        "Being a permy is like being married, when there's no more sex on the cards....and she's got fat."
        SlimRick

Can't argue with that

Comment

Have you tried applying to Kleenex?
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

You on the bench?

You just posted in Technical about solving a problem for a client?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              You on the bench?

You just posted in Technical about solving a problem for a client?

His employment status is about as tenuous as the value of your gold reserves.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                Why do agencies need to be so tight lipped, devious and cretinous (sorry Dodgy not you you're lovely)

Agency rings and asks me if they can put my CV forward for gig A. Won't tell me who it's with, or precisely where, but I know it's in West Yorkshire. Day rate is fine, work sounds ok. Sure, go for it.

Next agency rings and asks if they can put me forward for gig B. Won't tell me who it's with, or precisely where, bit I know it's in West Yorkshire. Date rate is fine, work sounds ok. I highlight I've already been put forward for a similar sounding gig in West Yorkshire. I am told to rest assured they're not the same gig. Still won't tell me who it's for, just that it's a well known legal practice.

Then the first agency rings me this morning to tell me that HR at ClientCo have tossed my CV as they have had it multiple times from at least 3 other agencies.

How? One other I can possibly account for. Jeez.

Just rusty I guess as I haven't been on the bench for 20 months, and was hopelessy naive, should have got a full job spec from both and insisted on knowing all of the details.

But 3 other agencies? Sersiously? This means my CV is getting tossed in without my knowing, which seems like lunacy.

Chin up SY. At least now you can go balls-out on the £15 a pop disk defragmenting option, and still have time to get lost on your bike everynight with your cycling buddy, Monsieur Le Ham Fiste!!

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by Mason Boyne View Post
                  His employment status is about as tenuous as the value of your gold reserves.
                  http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/Article28792.html

Comment

You know the hiring manager is very probably technically able, you know yourself to be technically able and in a position to explain that to the hiring manager, sadly HR and the agents come between a meeting with a completely uninformed abstract view on the role and the candidate. Like a blind person selling a painting I suppose. "So what is this thing called relational databases, have you got much experience in them".

Cliphead's tale about not being put forward for a role because he never had winzip on his CV is a corker.

Comment

Working...
                    X