• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

LinkedIn and Plan Bs and being secretive

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LinkedIn and Plan Bs and being secretive

There are plenty of LinkedIn groups related to an area I plan to launch a plan B in. However, people I've worked with in this area are already members of these groups too, and I don't really want them getting a nice email notification "d000hg posted XXX" which effectively shows my hand.

Anyone know how to maintain a network on the site, and still be able to do things without your network knowing?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    There are plenty of LinkedIn groups related to an area I plan to launch a plan B in. However, people I've worked with in this area are already members of these groups too, and I don't really want them getting a nice email notification "d000hg posted XXX" which effectively shows my hand.

Anyone know how to maintain a network on the site, and still be able to do things without your network knowing?
    Erm, perhaps don't post stuff you want to keep secret on a publicly accessible website?
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Create a sockie account.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
        Erm, perhaps don't post stuff you want to keep secret on a publicly accessible website?
        But that's the point, groups exist with hundreds or even thousands of people who are potentially very valuable sources of information in their field... but the moment I post a question on their group board, my connections will get an email and it's not hard to join the dots.

It's too valuable a resource to just give up on...
        Last edited by d000hg; 21 June 2011, 11:26.

Comment

But that's the point, groups exist with hundreds or even thousands of people who are potentially very valuable sources of information in their field... but the moment I post a question on their group board, my connections will get an email and it's not hard to join the dots.
          So create a linkedin Sockie account and ensure your questions are slightly different.

Its not ideal but I think its the only way to game their system.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

You can't post as a company can you? IIRC like FaceBook, companies are special entities not regular users?

Comment

Personally I'm getting pissied off with LinkedIn, it seems to be full of Indians who can't do their jobs and need help, agents who want me to be their friend and Marketing bods who insist that I look at their latest "Webinar"!

Odds bodkins, even the C++ experts group is full of people who aren't experts!

Comment

Originally posted by Mason Boyne View Post
                Personally I'm getting pissied off with LinkedIn, it seems to be full of Indians who can't do their jobs and need help, agents who want me to be their friend and Marketing bods who insist that I look at their latest "Webinar"!

Odds bodkins, even the C++ experts group is full of people who aren't experts!
                So there's the solution. A linkedin Bob sockie could ask as many stupid questions as you want and no one would be any the wiser.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  So there's the solution. A linkedin Bob sockie could ask as many stupid questions as you want and no one would be any the wiser.
                  Yes but no one would answer them either.
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                    Yes but no one would answer them either.
                    So basically you want people including your mates to answer your questions without putting two plus two together.

I can't see how you can avoid that but it may be better to bring a few of them (especially if they are potential customers) into the loop sooner rather than later.

Comment

Working...
                    X