• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

So glad I dont work for the ONS / Lockheed Martin / CPNI

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So glad I dont work for the ONS / Lockheed Martin / CPNI

UK Census records stolen by Lulzsec....

Has UK gov lost the census to Lulzsec?

Lulzsec 2011 census released - Pastebin.com

It's going to be very embarrasing for some people if they really have got the data.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

According to some at Hacker News, the Pastebin doc looks as if its been cut-and-pasted from older LulzSec stuff and contains some out-of-date info.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      According to some at Hacker News, the Pastebin doc looks as if its been cut-and-pasted from older LulzSec stuff and contains some out-of-date info.
      I've been following their Twitter, one of their recent escapades is part of what I was grumbling about last week.

The language on the pastebin post fits previous release announcements, if not the exact text. The Bethesda and Senate.gov releases in the signature at the bottom are the two most recent major releases, so it's pretty up to date.

Twitter feed is talk about preparing data for release as well. They may just have jumped the gun with the pastebin update.

Comment

There was a story on June 1st that didn't seem to be picked up as people thought it related to the US census

Census Company Hacked – Data Lost ? | Freedom News Network

What is rather impressive is how quickly the data has been processed. In fact its so impressive I don't believe its possible.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          What is rather impressive is how quickly the data has been processed. In fact its so impressive I don't believe its possible.
          Rainbow Table could be a clue.

P.S. Should I just log off from the internet now and forget about it?
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
            Rainbow Table could be a clue.

P.S. Should I just log off from the internet now and forget about it?
            Sorry you've got the wrong end of the stick. I wasn't commenting on how quickly the data has been decrypted but on how quickly the census has been digitised and processed by Lockheed Martin.

Comment

The danger here is that the government will use this as a means of justifying all the monitoring they want to do.

Inside job? Oh, nooooo, perish the thought

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                The danger here is that the government will use this as a means of justifying all the monitoring they want to do.

Inside job? Oh, nooooo, perish the thought
                This is supposedly the last census. In future the plan is to use Credit agencies and other sources for the data. I'll leave my cynicism off this comment.

Comment

Sorry you've got the wrong end of the stick. I wasn't commenting on how quickly the data has been decrypted but on how quickly the census has been digitised and processed by Lockheed Martin.
                  Oh. see what you mean.

However don't underestimate the the way that in spite of many government IT cockups, revenue earning things like speed and congestion charge camera systems seem to work well.

Comment

There was a story on June 1st that didn't seem to be picked up as people thought it related to the US census

Census Company Hacked – Data Lost ?*|*Freedom News Network

The Hack against LM was widely publicised the day after it happened and was related to the earlier hack of RSA that resulted in the loss of their SecurID token certificates. That article is just a polemic against big corporations not being trustworthy. Theres little in there thats actually relevant.

It's more likely that the Census data was lifted from the ONS rather than LM and lifted in the last few days rather than 3 weeks ago.

The ONS have said the basic info from the census would be available from July, more detailed stats after that. So it's quite possible the raw data was floating around ready for the taking.
                    Last edited by DaveB; 21 June 2011, 13:49.

Comment

Working...
                    X