• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car Insurance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car Insurance

I currently own 2 cars - neither are worth much. i keep one at home up north and one stays down here for commuting between where I stay and the train station. Where I live is in a high insurance group and where I stay is in a very low one. Periodically I swap the cars over when one needs a service etc, usually when I have to pick my son up from school in Worcester. So when it comes to insuring them, what address should be used? They will both spend about half of the year in the cheaper location. The difference is a drop from 550 to 600 down to about 300 a year, on both cars.
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Insure at the cheaper address and if you have to claim whilst at the other say you were just visiting, if it can be proven you have two addresses and are frequently at the other.

This is what I do when temporary renting near client sites when working away from home.
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
      Insure at the cheaper address and if you have to claim whilst at the other say you were just visiting, if it can be proven you have two addresses and are frequently at the other.

This is what I do when temporary renting near client sites when working away from home.
      Cheers that's what I was planning to do.
      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
        Cheers that's what I was planning to do.
        Tony "Two Cars" English.
        Not related are you to...........?

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

No because while technically they are 2 cars, one of them is a complete banger. I put £40 of petrol in it at the weekend and it's overall value went up by 10%!

Bought it off mu cousin for £400 and to be honest I can't fault it. A v reg pug 206 with 70,000 miles on the clock. It looks like tulip but it's done what I needed it to do! Just need it to last for another 12 months and then will trade it in for another, better car

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
            No because while technically they are 2 cars, one of them is a complete banger. I put £40 of petrol in it at the weekend and it's overall value went up by 10%!

Bought it off mu cousin for £400 and to be honest I can't fault it. A v reg pug 206 with 70,000 miles on the clock. It looks like tulip but it's done what I needed it to do! Just need it to last for another 12 months and then will trade it in for another, better car
            Are you sure your not a permie?

Comment

Should you not insure at at the registered keeper's address?

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
                Should you not insure at at the registered keeper's address?
                Not necessarily. They usually want to know where the vehicle is kept overnight (e.g. I once used a friend's garage who lived miles away from my home, for my 2nd car) and where it is usually parked during the day (e.g. office car park).

So for my own circumstances, the registered address is my permanent address, but the car is usually kept at my temporary address which I rent near the client site if working away from home.
                Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                Feist - I Feel It All
                Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Do what it takes to get the cheapest insurance provided you can justify the address provided in some way or form.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
                    Do what it takes to get the cheapest insurance provided you can justify the address provided in some way or form.
                    But that would be immoral, and a slap in the face for all those nice insurance people who bend over backwards to assist you in the event you are ever required to call upon their services. How could you sleep at night?

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
                    X