• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is there a difference between a Freelancer and a Contractor?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a difference between a Freelancer and a Contractor?

Is there a difference? I think Freelancer sounds better (IMHO), but most Agencies use Contractor.
    I've spoken to two Agents last week and one of them wanted to know if i was interested in Freelance work or Contract work!!

Tell them you're a freelance contractor.

Contractor seems to be the term I hear all the time now but I'm sure in the early days when I started (over 10 years ago) that freelance contractor was a common term.

Not sure if there's a distinction to worry about, as long as I am free to choose the contracts I want and work via my own limited company and not be tied to one agency or have to go through their PAYE/Umbrella service I don't much care how they want to class it.
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

A number of people seem to draw the distinction on the basis that a freelancer finds their own clients and contracts directly with them, rather than working through agencies.

In other words, a freelancer is running a real business, whereas a contractor is just a glorified temp. There, that should ruffle a few feathers

Comment

Whatever happened to "Freelance Informer"?

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          A number of people seem to draw the distinction on the basis that a freelancer finds their own clients and contracts directly with them, rather than working through agencies.

In other words, a freelancer is running a real business, whereas a contractor is just a glorified temp. There, that should ruffle a few feathers
          WNFS
          "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Not kidding: About 50% of my clients have been direct and about 50% of my time spent contracting has been spent working directly for those clients

So what does that make me??
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Mason Boyne View Post
              Whatever happened to "Freelance Informer"?
              Sleeping with the fishes for grassing on us to the IR35 mob.
              Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                A freelance contractor!
                Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                  Not kidding: About 50% of my clients have been direct and about 50% of my time spent contracting has been spent working directly for those clients

A jammy git.
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Maybe you're right. I did start of finding my own contracts, before I got lazy after that work dried up and fell into trawling jobserve etc, so maybe that's why in the early days I remember the term 'freelance contractor' being common.
                    Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Working...
                    X