• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Found something to moan about

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found something to moan about

It seems that the Government have sledge-hammered ID cards through and, from now on, when you renew your passport your details will be entered on an ID database. You don't have to have an ID card until 2010 but let's face it, if we're all on a database Bliar has achieved his goal

Originally posted by John Galt
    It seems that the Government have sledge-hammered ID cards through and, from now on, when you renew your passport your details will be entered on an ID database. You don't have to have an ID card until 2010 but let's face it, if we're all on a database Bliar has achieved his goal
    As I have been told by others on this forum ...."If you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear"

Comment

Originally posted by eternalnomad
      As I have been told by others on this forum ...."If you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear"

Except fear itself...

Comment

We soon wont have to worry, as soon as Teflon or one of his team realise they have an "we can ammend anything bill" they wont bother putting it through the House anymore.
        I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
        Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

What I don't understand is why everybody is so upset at being put on a government database when we're all already on several government databases.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Any party that wants to be the next government should campaign on having this abolished.

As I keep harping on about...you get the government you deserve!

Mailman

Comment

Originally posted by eternalnomad
              Until someone like the BNP get in, then you'll have nothing to fear as long as you're ...., ....., .....,

Comment

Originally posted by PerlOfWisdom
                Until someone like the BNP get in, then you'll have nothing to fear as long as you're ...., ....., .....,
                Law, abiding, citizen ?

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan
                  What I don't understand is why everybody is so upset at being put on a government database when we're all already on several government databases.
                  Well there are a number of reasons

1. It will be a massive waste of money? When was the last time a major government database actually worked?
                  1. It will be a massive waste of money? When was the last time a major government database actually worked?
                  2. It is a single point of failure. Should someone gain access to the database (not totally unlikely) then it would provide all the information they need to impersonate you. Eventually such things will be needed to open a bank account, get credit whatever. Given the poor quality of many government projects is one totally sure that the information that comes out of it is accurate.
                  3. Control. The current government loves to control everything about our lives. Doing so is far easier when you have information about those you wish to control.

Comment

4. A non trivial amount of the data captured on it will be wrong. Given that, it will be almost impossible to get such data corrected or removed, ever.
                    4a. Miscreants will deliberately poison the data.
                    4a.1. Civil servants won't be able to keep up with them.
                    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Working...
                    X