• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

With all this telegraph talk of default and euro doom can someone tell me why

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With all this telegraph talk of default and euro doom can someone tell me why

the pound is tanking against the euro this week? i'd love to know.

XE.com - Free Currency Charts (GBP/EUR)
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

If Greece falls over actual eurozone rates will rise, making lending in euros more attractive to investors?

The ECB are likely to raise rates again soon?

People are worried about the UK banking systems nearly €200 billion exposure to Ireland?

The yank banks are stockpiling € ready to pay out on all those credit default swaps they wrote?

Someone doesn't believe the Greeks will be allowed to default and so they are hoovering up Greek bonds with their ridiculous yields? Or they are hedging their CDS exposure?

Those countries holding large amounts of foreign reserves are less worried about a Greek default than a US one thus driving them to buy €?
    Last edited by doodab; 22 June 2011, 13:34.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Gold is heading for the stratosphere today again. Another day another record smashed. Will it speed through 31,000/kg today?

Comment

Greek citizens are emptying savings accounts and buying gold as they brace themselves for the possibility of a sovereign default and a run on the banks.
        FT.com / Brussels / Economy - Greek savers rush for gold

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
          the pound is tanking against the euro this week? i'd love to know.

XE.com - Free Currency Charts (GBP/EUR)
          Obviously the UK economy is poked and because we are out of the Euro Sterling will fall and our exports will become competitive. Give it a few more weeks and I will be in India looking for outsourcing opportunities for "DA's UK offshoring plc" kerching!
          Last edited by DodgyAgent; 22 June 2011, 16:39.
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
            Will it speed through 31,000/kg today?
            Yep.

Comment

....because they're going to print more money.

BoE voted 7-2 to hold rates as growth slows - Telegraph

Don't worry as the UK economy weakens they'll just ramp up the printing presses.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                ....because they're going to print more money.

BoE voted 7-2 to hold rates as growth slows - Telegraph

Don't worry as the UK economy weakens they'll just ramp up the printing presses.

Sweet. Would seem a little reckless, is the Government trying to turn the UK into Switzerland II?

Might move back if they succeed.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                X