• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

GB Football Team

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GB Football Team

If it does well enough with the strongest players from the 4 home nations, do you think they will decide to join forces and compete in future competitions?

And what national anthem will they use? Tricky one that.

Originally posted by Moose423956 View Post
    If it does well enough with the strongest players from the 4 home nations, do you think they will decide to join forces and compete in future competitions?

And what national anthem will they use? Tricky one that.
    God save the Queen is the national anthem of the United Kingdom. As it's used for every other Team GB entrant I don't think there is any question of it not being used for the footballers.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
      God save the Queen is the national anthem of the United Kingdom. As it's used for every other Team GB entrant I don't think there is any question of it not being used for the footballers.
      But the UK and GB are two different things, Northern Ireland is not in Great Britain, but they are part of the United Kingdom
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        But the UK and GB are two different things, Northern Ireland is not in Great Britain, but they are part of the United Kingdom
        Team GB is the Great Britain and Northern Ireland Olympic Team which competes at the summer, winter and youth Olympic Games.
        British Olympic Association | TeamGB | About - Our Greatest Team
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

<pedant mode>

Just because its on the internet doesn't mean it's factually accurate

</pedant mode>

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

<pedant mode>

Just because its on the internet doesn't mean it's factually accurate

</pedant mode>
            But neither should we assume it's factually inaccurate. In this case, I think we can probably trust the British Olympic Association to know which countries their team represents.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
              But neither should we assume it's factually inaccurate. In this case, I think we can probably trust the British Olympic Association to know which countries their team represents.
              The IFA are objecting to the name.

Also how come the BOA decided to recognise just the FA when making negotiantions?

In answer to the OP original question I doubt this will be more than a one off as the SFA, FAW and IFA are all against the idea of a combined team at the Olympics, they have just said they can't stop people playing if picked

Comment

The IFA are objecting to the name.

Also how come the BOA decided to recognise just the FA when making negotiantions?

In answer to the OP original question I doubt this will be more than a one off as the SFA, FAW and IFA are all against the idea of a combined team at the Olympics, they have just said they can't stop people playing if picked
                The politics of football have sweet FA* to do with it.

Team GB represents the whole of the UK and "God Save the Queen" is the anthem that is played for Team GB competitors. If they have a football team, the anthem will be "God Save the Queen" unless she dies or we have a revolution.

* sorry, I couldn't help myself

Comment

Originally posted by Moose423956 View Post

Wouldn't most of the strongest players be from the England team anyway? Maybe they should ignore the players from the established national teams and choose those playing in the lower leagues, including the SPL.

They might even do better, as I'm sure they'll have more fighting spirit. Hence why you get upsets in the FA Cup. Leave the prima donnas at home.
                  Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                  Feist - I Feel It All
                  Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
                    Wouldn't most of the overpaid pretentious underachieving players be from the England team anyway?
                    FTFY

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
                    X