• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Doom - UK to lose billions in Greek crisis

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doom - UK to lose billions in Greek crisis

Greek debt crisis could cost UK £335bn | Mail Online

Nothing like a Martini with a slice of doom to end the day.
    I'm alright Jack

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

Nothing like a Martini with a slice of doom to end the day.
    According to their little chart France and Germany would go completely under ...if I'm reading it right?

Statistics eh.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Nothing like a Retsina with a slice of doom to end the day.
      FTFY, 'cos that's all we'll be able to afford
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

...will cost British banks, not the U.K.

Comment

The banks should take the brunt of this by taking "haircuts", the euro govs bailed them out when they were in the tulip. All the banks profits over the last few years, post bailout, should be used to wipe Greece's debt.

Comment

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...risis-fix.html

If Greece defaults will Portugal or Spain go down as well ? Could be interesting. Sounds like Lehman Bros with big knobs on.
            Last edited by BlasterBates; 23 June 2011, 04:22.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Greece Budget Hole Threatens to Swallow Europe - Bloomberg

If Greece defaults will Portugal or Spain go down as well ? Could be interesting. Sounds like Lehman Bros with big knobs on.
              I can't see Spain not going down also, with 20% unemployment, 50% youth unemployment and their main industry which was construction wiped out. They also have a bloated civil service just like Greece. Southern Europe is almost a basket case with the exception of Northern Italy.

The EU expansion in 2005 was a bad idea that let East European countries with no money and are just a millstone round the big paying countries of the EU.

Comment

For everyone who loses on a CDS there will be a winner elsewhere, so the question on my mind is who stands to benefit from these contracts in the event of a default?

Of course there is a good chance that those institutions who wrote the CDS will be unable or unwilling to pay up when required.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

The winners get nowt because the losers go bankrupt, unless they're bailed out. The bulk of the Tarp funds in the USA were used to bail out AIG who were on the losing side of the CDS's.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

The European debt crisis although massively huge, with far bigger dimensions than Lehman's bros, is tiny compared to the trillions of trillions of US debt building up.

That may be the global economic "killer" blow.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                    X