• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Question regarding milage expenses for Limited Company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question regarding milage expenses for Limited Company

Hi, I am about to embark on becoming a contractor and wanted to get the expenses side of things clear.
    I am getting many different answers to this question.
    Can I claim milage allowance on using my own car, travelling from home to work and back?
    Details - journey is 100 a day. I will be travelling to the same location every day, with the occasional extra trip in the day (this would be xtra on the 100)
    I am already working at the same place as a permanant employee of a service provider company, so would leave on the Friday and start again on the Monday as a contractor.
    Hope somebody can clarify, I get different answers from all the contractors working around me.

You can claim 45p per mile for the first 10k miles and then 25p per mile for a car in any financial year.

HM Revenue & Customs: Travel - mileage and fuel allowances

Comment

Originally posted by stokesey View Post
      Hi, I am about to embark on becoming a contractor and wanted to get the expenses side of things clear.
      Can I claim milage allowance on using my own car, travelling from home to work and back?
      Details - journey is 100 a day. I will be travelling to the same location every day, with the occasional extra trip in the day (this would be xtra on the 100)
      I am already working at the same place as a permanant employee of a service provider company, so would leave on the Friday and start again on the Monday as a contractor.
      Hope somebody can clarify, I get different answers from all the contractors working around me.
      THere are many other aspects of expenses you might want to read up about, not just what you can and can't claim but also how to claim it. Use the advanced search in the accounts section using the word 'expenses' and you will find a lot of discussion on many different elements such as phone, home office, works does etc. There are also links on the right to Contractor Expenses. Might even be worth getting an accountant to clarrify them. Could end up saving you a bob or two.

You haven't mentioned it but I would read up very carefully on IR35 in your position. Often leaving full time and coming back as contractor will put you inside IR35 so will change your taxation considerable. There are many links to it on the right and around the web.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by stokesey View Post
        Thanks for IR35 and all that!
        I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
          You can claim 45p per mile for the first 10k miles and then 25p per mile for a car in any financial year.
          But see also the "two year rule" if you are working as a contractor at the same site for years.
          Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Best HMRC link

HM Revenue & Customs: Expenses and benefits A to Z
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
            X